It's recently come to my attention that a lot of people have never heard of Zachary Taylor, the 12th president of the United States.
I decided something needed to be done about this. So are you ready for a fun little ~history lesson~?! The only answer is yes, so here you go!
1. Zachary Taylor was president.
2. Ever heard of someone nicknamed "Old Rough and Ready"? That was him!!!
3. Political opponents claimed he was illiterate, but that wasn't true.
4. He never voted for president before he was elected.
5. He was the last president to own slaves while in office.
6. But even though he was a slaveholder, he turned his back on his Southern supporters by taking on an anti-slavery agenda as president.
7. His daughter Sarah married Jefferson Davis, the future president of the Confederacy.
8. Taylor died after 16 months in office after eating cherries and drinking iced milk.
9. A lot of people think he was poisoned.
10. Either way, Taylor's death is how we ended up with Millard Fillmore as president.
Lesson over! CLASS DISMISSED.
Oops. Something went wrong. Please try again later
Looks like we are having a problem on the server.
JK, one quick question. Had you heard of Zachary Taylor before you read this post?