1. An engaged Syrian refugee couple had an emotional reunion in their new home of Norway after a months-long separation.
Nader and Omar met while refugees in Turkey, and got engaged just before Nader got political asylum in Norway. As same-sex marriage is illegal in both Turkey and their home country of Syria, they faced many obstacles applying for asylum as a couple. They now live together in Bergen, Norway.
3. A husband painted his pinky finger to support his wife, who had to have hers amputated.
Libby Sanders, who had to have her pinky finger amputated after a freak accident in February, mentioned to her husband Matt that she forgets she doesn’t have to paint it anymore, which bums her out.
His response? “I will be your surrogate pinky. You can paint my pinky to match your nails for the rest of our lives.” Awwwww.
4. This couple went on a romantic Valentine’s Day date to Taco Bell.
Daniel and Cassie made a three-course menu with all of their Taco Bell favorites and gave them fancy new names.
“They cleaned off a prime window-side table and even dimmed the lights a bit to let the candles help to set the mood,” Daniel said of Taco Bell. “It was a great excuse to get dolled up and get outside our comfort zones.”
6. This couple in their seventies took breathtaking nude portraits, showing the power of love at any age.
“We wanted to show that wrinkles and aging, sagging body parts are NOT barriers to love unless you let them be,” Gerry, 75, said of her photo session with her love, Darwin, 70. “Like fine wine or good cheese, we are more fully ourselves and more full of love in our seventies than we ever were in our thirties and forties.”
8. A woman hilariously trolled her husband on the inside of his wedding ring.
Amanda Tallman had “put it back on” inscribed on her husband’s band, much to his delight. “That summarizes Amanda in a nutshell,” Daniel said of the engraving. “We have a very fun and humorous relationship.”
9. A woman texted her husband everything he said while sleep-talking, to hilarious effect.
Lindsay Stamhuis and Aidan Hailes sure do have a lot of fun in bed.
10. Grandparents Wanda and Joe, who have been married for 63 years, did an adorable photo shoot to celebrate their long marriage.
11. These two women kissed in the middle of an anti-Trump protest.
Photographer Hennessy Vandheur caught the powerful moment amid the swaths of protesters along Fifth Avenue on Nov. 9. “It was nice seeing love in the middle of all the chaos,” he told BuzzFeed.
12. This guy publicly defended his fiancé after people body-shamed her in their engagement photos.
Mzznaki Tetteh shared her engagement photos on Instagram in June. Some commenters criticized the photo of her fiancé, Kojo Amoah, lifting her up, but both Tetteh and Amoah fired back at the haters.
13. Andrew Hou, an illustrator, made awesome cartoons to show little moments of love with his wife.
Andrew, who is Chinese, initially had trouble communicating with his wife Kate, who is Korean, so he sent her doodles at the beginning of their relationship to show how much he cared. Now he has a whole website where he showcases all of the things her love means to him.
14. This guy made us all laugh by turning his wife’s texts into a collage.
“After I received the ‘I’M A KOALA!’ text (I still don’t know what that was about, and she doesn’t remember), I had the sudden urge to post a screenshot of the text on Facebook with the caption ‘This is my wife, everyone,’” David Van Beveren told BuzzFeed of his wife, Samantha. “I’d receive random texts or just funny texts in general during conversations we’d have together and figured it would be neat to go post a year’s worth of noteworthy texts for our friends to see.”
15. And two The Bachelor Australia contestants fell in love with each other instead of the show’s star.
Megan Marx and Tiffany Scanlon both competed for Richie Strahan’s heart on the reality TV show, but as Marx explained in an Instagram comment, she and Scanlon felt an “instant calibration between souls, as if we had known each other once before. Friendship ripened into something bolder.”
For more Best Of 2016 content, click here!
- We've compiled an extensive (but not exhaustive) list of lies, exaggerations, and bullshit from Trump's first 100 days in office 💯
- An admitted fraudster has access to Trump through his wife's job at Mar-a-Lago — and he's tried to use it to his advantage.
- Arkansas executed Kenneth Williams Thursday night — just days before one of the state's execution drugs expires.
- Beginning in 2018, prescription drugs will be free for anyone under the age of 25 in Ontario, Canada, government says.