On Monday, a Reddit thread asked, "What human achievement do you want to see during your lifetime?" Here are some of best submissions:
1. Some were wishes for things that will hopefully come true soon, like a cure for Alzheimer's*.
"I have a family history and it terrifies me having witnessed what it does to people."
*This was the top answer by far, and had tons of positive responses and emotional stories.
2. And a fully mapped-out ocean floor.
3. Or cheap, clean renewable energy that can meet all our needs.
4. Others were downright smart ideas, like accessible mental health assistance to all who need it.
5. People hope everyone will have access to clean water sometime in the near future.
6. In addition to teleportation, obviously.
"Honest to goodness, no harm or cloning to occupant, low cost teleportation. Get your passport in order, see the Eiffel Tower, Stonehenge, the Golden Gate Bridge, New Zealand coastline, and some Japanese temples all in a few hours."
7. And a cure for cancer.
"Or making cancer something easily treatable. I've had three family members all diagnosed with cancer in the past year."
8. Some people just want truly high-speed internet.
"Fuck world peace, I wanna see disgustingly fast internet speeds."
9. Mankind touching another solar system in some way would also be incredible.
10. As would immortality.
"The invention of immortality would be great before I die."
11. Come on, when will we have a better solution for fixing teeth?
"Like really fixing this dumb problem. We can put a man on the moon, but we can't prevent some simple rot? I believe the mouth mechanics have a solution, but it would jeopardize their industry. It's a crackpot theory, but I bat it around in my head quite a bit. Well, two times a day for two minutes, at least."
12. Or manned mission to Mars?
13. Will we ever see the end of Comcast?
14. Other people had smaller, yet still lofty dreams, like having your SO finally make a decision on what to eat.
"Witness my gf actually making a decision on what to eat for dinner."
15. Or seeing the next Game of Thrones book released.
"That would be swell."
16. And Michael Phelps racing a real shark.
17. And finally, a working Reddit search function.
A cure for Alzheimer's.A functioning Reddit search function.A fully mapped-out ocean floor.The end of Comcast.Cheap, clean renewable energy that can meet all our needs.Seeing the next Game of Thrones book released.A cure for cancerMichael Phelps racing a real shark.TeleportationTruly high-speed internet.Having your SO finally make a decision on what to eat.A manned mission to Mars.A better solution for fixing teeth.Accessible mental health assistance to all who need it.Immortality.Everybody having access to clean water.Mankind touching another solar system in some way.
17 Things That We, As Humans, Still Have Yet To Accomplish
vote votesA cure for Alzheimer's.
vote votesA functioning Reddit search function.
vote votesA fully mapped-out ocean floor.
vote votesThe end of Comcast.
vote votesCheap, clean renewable energy that can meet all our needs.
vote votesSeeing the next Game of Thrones book released.
vote votesA cure for cancer
vote votesMichael Phelps racing a real shark.
vote votesTruly high-speed internet.
vote votesHaving your SO finally make a decision on what to eat.
vote votesA manned mission to Mars.
vote votesA better solution for fixing teeth.
vote votesAccessible mental health assistance to all who need it.
vote votesEverybody having access to clean water.
vote votesMankind touching another solar system in some way.