2. Photographers James and Karla Murray took storefront photographs between 2001 and 2004, and revisited these sites, to highlight the commercial changes small businesses have faced.
Above: Casa Nova Pizzeria in Hell’s Kitchen about 10 years ago, and a Verizon Wireless store in its place today.
“We started re-photographing the locations of all the mom-and-pop stores which [first] appeared in our book, Store Front: The Disappearing Face of New York, after a decade had passed,” they told BuzzFeed. “We felt this was a sufficient amount of time to really bring into focus the commercial changes.”
3. They wanted to spell out exactly what was happening in Manhattan and how it’s led to a “loss of character and decreased sense of community.”
Above: Delightful Coffee Shop in Harlem about 10 years ago (left), and a Dunkin’ Donuts/Baskin Robbins now in its location (right).
Above: Optimo Cigars in Union Square about 10 years ago (left), and a Baked by Melissa cupcake shop in its place today (right).
“Until you place them side-by-side and really look at the two photos, you cannot get the true sense of loss experienced by the neighborhood,” James and Karla said.
Above: McHale’s Restaurant at 8th Avenue & West 46th Street about 10 years ago, and Satya Eastern Kitchen in its place today.
Its caption reads: “McHale’s was in business for 62 years and was replaced by the condo tower known as Platinum NYC. The Broadway Inn, pictured top right, has since been torn down.”
12. So far, the series has only captured Lower Manhattan and Harlem, but the photographers plan to document about 300 storefronts and venture into the other boroughs as well.
Above: CBGB, on the Bowery in the East Village about 10 years ago, and a John Varvatos boutique in its place now.
“Most of the ‘after’ photos have been taken in Manhattan because that’s where we live so it is easier for us to revisit those locations,” they said. “But we plan to visit the stores we originally photographed in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, as well as Staten Island.”
- Top legal scholars will be filing the 1st major lawsuit against President Trump's alleged business conflicts on Monday.
- "Welcome to the movement": Women's March on Washington organizers are working tirelessly to make sure 1st-time marchers stick around ✊
- Kellyanne Conway says White House press sec. Sean Spicer didn't lie about crowd size at Trump's inauguration. He gave "alternative facts."
- The Patriots are heading to the Super Bowl yet again after crushing the Steelers. They'll play the Falcons on Feb. 5 🏈