3. These concept cafes originated in Akihabara, Tokyo, and were designed to attract otaku (AKA “manga nerds”) who have an insatiable appetite for anime in all forms.
And yes, the otaku men are sometimes known to obsessively and voyeuristically gaze at young Asian women in costume.
6. The business has received backlash for objectifying and eroticizing Asian women.
11. The “Ten Commandments” on display in the restaurant also advises customers to not ask for personal information, take photos, stalk, or linger outside to wait for the maids to get off work.
12. H/t to Gothamist.
- An armed militant group is urging its members to patrol polling stations on election day, a move the group's leaders say is aimed at preventing voter fraud.
- As a bitter civil war in Yemen shows no signs of stopping, nearly 14 million people are struggling to feed themselves every day.
- The Obama administration delayed trans workers' protections for years after a landmark civil rights decision 🔎🌈
- And here's everything you need to know about Apple's fall Mac event📱 🍎