3. These concept cafes originated in Akihabara, Tokyo, and were designed to attract otaku (AKA “manga nerds”) who have an insatiable appetite for anime in all forms.
And yes, the otaku men are sometimes known to obsessively and voyeuristically gaze at young Asian women in costume.
6. The business has received backlash for objectifying and eroticizing Asian women.
11. The “Ten Commandments” on display in the restaurant also advises customers to not ask for personal information, take photos, stalk, or linger outside to wait for the maids to get off work.
12. H/t to Gothamist.
- BuzzFeed is celebrating the biggest night in Hollywood, the Oscars, with a live show and tipsy game of bingo 🏆🍹
- Philip Bilden, the businessman nominated by President Trump to be Secretary of the Navy, has withdrawn himself from consideration.
- Actor Bill Paxton has died at 61. He starred in classic films including "Twister," "Titanic," "Big Love," and "Aliens."
- The Nokia brick phone is making a comeback — reimagined with a colored screen, but the game Snake hasn't gone anywhere 🐍📲