23 Horrifically Creepy Facts That You Probably Shouldn't Read After 10 P.M.
You've been fairly warned.
2. "There is an Island of the Dolls in Mexico City that has thousands of creepy dolls to honor a little girl who drowned in the 1950s. The island is said to be one of the most haunted places."
5. "You have a bunch of microscopic parasites called Demodex on your eyelashes and in the pores on your face. They come out at night to lay eggs and eat the oils on your face."
6. "Cotard’s Delusion is a rare psychiatric condition which causes the sufferer to wholeheartedly believe they are dead, putrefying, or simply do not exist. Some Cotard’s patients refuse to eat, as they do not believe they need to, with one notable patient dying of starvation. Another woman once asked to be taken to a morgue to be with the other dead people."
9. "There is a rare genetic disease called fatal familial insomnia where over the course of months you literally cannot go or be put to sleep no matter what you take or what you do. The symptoms get progressively worse until your brain deteriorates and you die from exhaustion."
10. "During the Victorian Era, it was not uncommon for families to take pictures with recently deceased relatives. This was done as one final moment with that person to honor them."
13. "When anglerfish mate, the male literally deforms its body and fuses with the female, and they live together for the rest of their lives."
14. "Scaphism is the worst way of execution I've ever heard of. The word comes from Greek and stands for 'hollowed out'. The victim is trapped between two boats, fed and covered with milk and honey, which then attracts all kinds of insects and vermin that fester and devour you over a couple of days."
15. "Indian followers of Zoroastrianism don't bury or burn their dead. Instead they leave the bodies in special towers, exposed to the elements to be eaten by vultures."
18. "Postpartum psychosis can show up in a new mother virtually overnight. It can make them hallucinate or go into psychosis, making them think their baby is a demon or the antichrist, for example. New mothers kill their own children because of postpartum psychosis more often than you might like to think."
21. "When CNN first signed on in 1980, they recorded a band playing a hymn that they were meant to play at the end of the world. It was hidden from the public for 35 years."
Answers have been edited for length and/or clarity, and fact-checked.