1. Josh Ostrovsky is one of the biggest stars on Instagram. His account @TheFatJewish posts aggregated jokes and funny memes that have earned him 5.7 million followers.
2. The social media star has been able to turn his online fame into an entertainment career.
The 30-year-old has been in talks to create a TV show, according to a New York Times profile in 2014, and has a book coming out in October.
Last year, Billboard reported brands will pay Ostrovsky up to $2,500 to be featured on his Instagram account.
3. On Thursday, The Hollywood Reporter wrote that Ostrovsky has been signed by major Hollywood agency CAA.
4. But in the midst of the news, many comedians and others on social media are criticizing Ostrovsky. They said he doesn’t properly credit those he aggregates, and has essentially built an empire off other people’s jokes.
5. One of the critics was Davon Magwood, a Pittsburgh-based stand-up comedian.
6. In a post on his website in early August, Magwood accused Ostrovsky and others of stealing this meme he created, which went viral after the death of Cecil the Lion.
“What I noticed happening were sites and people reposting my words with the picture and the words and not my freaking name!” he wrote.
7. @TheFatJewish posted the joke, but Magwood said he didn’t initially credit him. After Magwood said his friends criticized Ostrovsky, the post was changed to include a credit.
Magwood said he gained followers after his handle was credited, but wondered how many more followers he may have received if he had always been credited properly.
“I shouldn’t have to asked to be credit for my work, neither should other comedians or clever social media people,” he wrote.
8. The criticism of Ostrovsky grown significantly since he signed with CAA. One writer, Maura Quint, wrote on Facebook that Ostrovsky is “making a living off of the hard work of other people.”
“This man makes nothing, contributes nothing, originates nothing, he is a leech, he is a virus, he is what is wrong with the world. Please please please do not support him. He is pure trash,” she wrote.