10. Hannah Montana (2006 – 2011)
Singer and actress Miley Cyrus stars as Hannah Montana, a typical California junior high school student by day and a pop teen sensation by night. Her father has raised Miley and her brother, Jackson, alone since the death of their mother. Both children have a close and supportive relationship with their father, who handles their teenage angst with a mixture of humor and country charm.
11. 90210 (2008 – present)
In this reinvention of a ‘90s classic, a traditional family comprised of a mom, dad and their daughter is shaken up when they adopt a black child, Dixon, and move to Beverly Hills. Dixon’s girlfriend, Silver, was raised by her sister (Kelly) because her mother was an alcoholic. Kelly also had a child of her own with an absentee father (Dylan). As a result, Kelly was raising two kids.
13. Modern Family (2009-present)
This mockumentary revolves around three inter-related families whose patriarch, Jay Pritchett (played by Ed O’Neill), is remarried to a much younger Colombian woman with a precocious son. Jay’s daughter has a husband and three children, while his son and life partner have adopted a Vietnamese baby. This blended family has it all: stepchildren, adopted children, second marriages between characters from different generations, and a gay couple.
14. Ben and Kate (2012 – present)
This new network comedy follows a pair of odd-couple siblings and their friends as they push each other out of their comfort zones and into real life. What happens when an optimistic dreamer moves in with his overly responsible little sister to help raise her five-year-old daughter? It’s not a stepfamily, but it is representative of the alternative family dynamic gaining prevalence in today’s culture.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- The State Department has been accused of promoting Trump's private businesses after its post about the history of Mar-a-Lago went viral.
- If no court steps in, Arkansas is poised to become the first state in more than 15 years to execute two people in one night.
- Markets are saying "Vive la France" after pro-EU centrist Emmanuel Macron gained the most votes in the 1st round of the French election.
- Thanks to Paul Ryan, Papa Roach's teen-angst smash "Last Resort" has become the internet's unofficial anthem for the owned 😬🎤