Since 1983, a photographer and two dancers have been quietly fighting to get credit for the blockbuster they say they directly inspired. Now they’re getting louder. Read it at BuzzFeed.
A haunting and important story by Luke Malone that confronts an uncomfortable reality: pedophiles, especially young ones, are given no resources, no help. Could that change? Read it at Matter.
3. The Most Wanted Man in the World — Wired
In an unprecedented profile, James Bamford spends three days with Snowden in a Moscow hotel room: “But in all my work, I’ve never run across anyone quite like Snowden. He is a uniquely postmodern breed of whistle-blower.” Read it at Wired.
4. The Rise of Beefcake Yoga — The New York Times Magazine
Yoga and professional wrestling weren’t the likeliest combination — until wrestling legend Diamond Dallas Page got involved: “From 2001 to 2011, more than 2,000 trademark applications containing the word ‘yoga’ were filed, including ones for Metal Yoga, Broga and Hillbilly Yoga. But Page’s yoga was unique in its W.W.E.-like blend of manliness and goofiness. ” Read it at the New York Times Magazine.
5. The Civil Rights Movement Is Going In Reverse In Alabama — The New Republic
Jason Zengerle travels to Alabama to profile state senator Hank Sanders and the rapid changes happening to that state’s legislature: “In recent years, however, the trajectory of Sanders’s story has been abruptly—and just as inexorably—reversed. In 2010, Republicans took over the Alabama Senate and Sanders lost his chairmanship; in the four years since, he’s watched as the new GOP majority has systematically dismantled much of his life’s work.” Read it at the New Republic.
6. How A Small-Time Handicapper Concocted A Wild MLB Game-Fixing Tale — The Center For Investigative Reporting
In 2012, Major League Baseball investigators started hearing rumors that Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Jeff Locke was conspiring to fix baseball games. But the truth was far more complicated than that. Read it at The Center For Investigative Reporting.
Between stoner cackles, Wiz Khalifa has become one of this generation’s most influential rappers. Eight years into his career, can he maintain that success? Read it at BuzzFeed
- Donald Trump marveled at how "brilliantly" Hitler seized power during a 2000 visit to a Holocaust museum.
- At least 26 people have been treated by medics after a chemical incident at London City Airport.