1. You have absolutely no shame in being nearly naked around your friends and teammates.
When you have a swimmer’s body, who cares?
2. While hard to believe, there actually is no limit to the amount of food you will eat after practice.
To paraphrase Mean Girls, “The limit does not exist!”
3. Putting on a Fastskin suit takes at least twice as long as you think it does.
At least 20 minutes, if we’re being honest.
4. There is nothing you dread more in the world than a long course practice.
5. If you’re a guy swimmer, you secretly like the feeling of shaving your legs for championship season.
6. But if you’re a lady swimmer, you have VERY mixed feelings about not shaving your legs for several months.
Jeans and leggings on repeat.
7. No matter how old you get, Sharks & Minnows will forever be your favorite pool game — and a great excuse to end practice early.
“MINNOWS, MINNOWS, CROSS MY OCEAN!”
8. Timing your relay starts perfectly still makes you very, very nervous no matter how many times you’ve done it.
NO FALSE STARTS!
10. Swimcest is a very, very real thing.
The inter-team hookups are probably out of control, TBH.
11. You’d rather have your goggles totally fall off than start leaking, to be honest.
12. You totally identify with your stroke/event. You’re not just a swimmer; you’re a breaststroker, or a sprint freestyler, or an IMer.
13. And you feel like a total hot mess when you swim something other than your main events. Being a sprint freestyler trying to swim a 400 IM just doesn’t end well.
There is no happy ending to this story.
15. You’ve totally swallowed an unhealthy amount of chlorinated water.
At this point, you’re just used to it.
17. Getting up for morning practice, while painful, is actually a badge of honor.
18. You can wear a cap, and use special shampoo, but your hair will always feel chloriney.
At least you have abs, though.
21. Unless you are a butterflyer, you will do absolutely ANYTHING to get out of a butterfly set.
Two-hundred butterfly? Yeah, I think I’ll pass.
22. You can try as hard as you want, but you will ALWAYS smell like chlorine.
26. Weird tan lines are just something you’ve gotten accustomed to.
28. Dryland workouts are really just proof that you were born to swim and not compete in any sports on land.
AS IF anyone else could be a swimmer, right?
29. And finally, it’s practically guaranteed that your teammates will become your family.
Just keep swimming!
- Barack Obama had his final press conference as president, defending his legacy and vowing to fight Trump if the nation's "core values may be at stake."
- Scott Pruitt, Donald Trump's pick for EPA chief, refused to say at his confirmation hearing if he would recuse himself from lawsuits he filed against the EPA.
- It's official: Scientists announced today that 2016 was the hottest year on record and that greenhouse gases are to blame ♨️️🌍
- "Will & Grace" will return for a 10-episode revival. Debra Messing and Eric McCormack will reprise their roles in the groundbreaking NBC sitcom 📺