22 Disturbingly Twisted Moments From Books That Made Us Never Want To Read Again
"It’s almost a relief when he cuts her in half with a chainsaw."
Recently we asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us about book moments that were so shocking they nearly stopped reading right there. Here are some of the best (worst) suggestions, but they come with a hefty TW and an obvious spoiler alert! 🚨
TW: this post includes references to sexual assault, rape, and suicide, as well as graphic descriptions of murder, body mutilation, and animal abuse.
1. It by Stephen King.
2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
3. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.
4. Night by Elie Wiesel.
5. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.
6. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.
7. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins.
8. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara.
9. American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.
10. The Green Mile by Stephen King.
11. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.
12. One Child by Torey Hayden.
13. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls.
14. Unwind by Neal Shusterman.
15. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
16. A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer.
17. Nineteen Eighty-Four: A Novel by George Orwell.
18. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne.
19. Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northup.
20. The Bunker Diary by Kevin Brooks.
21. Shanghai Girls by Lisa See.
22. We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver.
Note: Some entries were edited for length and/or clarity.