Be Better Than Your Single-Use Plastic Friends With These 36 Reusable Products
You'll save money, too.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A rechargeable electric lighter because every season is candle season, and that means you go through boxes and boxes of single-use matches. This lighter can be used 500 times on a single charge and can be charged 500 times before it needs to be replaced.
Heather, a BuzzFeed Shopping team member, loves this. Here's what she has to say: "I'm obsessed with candles, so it was a no-brainer for my husband to gift me this surprisingly super-fun gadget for Christmas. It's really simple to use and charge, and it really works! If you're someone who gets a thrill from RAW POWER this is sort of the product for you. No, it's not a super-intense gadget, relax, pyromaniacs, but it does buzz and produce a burst of electricity that I personally find exciting. AND I'll never have to buy another lighter again! Stop burning your fingers on matches and pick up one of these bad boys."
Get it from Amazon for $10.99+ (available in black or red).
2. A Rubbermaid produce saver if fruits and vegetables seem to go bad after only a few days in your fridge. Reviewers swear that this container prolongs the life of produce by at least two weeks!
The containers are BPA free and dishwasher safe. They feature vents to regulate the flow of oxygen and carbon dioxide, keeping your produce fresher for longer.
Promising review: "I bought my fruit on Friday and ordered this immediately because I’m so sick of throwing my fruit away if I don’t eat it in a few days. It’s been a WEEK now and my strawberries, pineapple, and blueberries (all in this one big container) are STILL FRESH! I’m going to start buying more fresh fruit now that I know it won’t be wasted and thrown away in a few days. Highly recommend this product if you’re like me and can’t eat a whole pineapple, strawberries, and other fruit fast!" —Sarah
Get it from Amazon for $17.24+ (available in multiple sizes and quantities).
Check out our full Rubbermaid produce saver food containers review for more info.
3. A double-walled and vacuum-insulated travel mug designed specifically for cold drinks. Reviewers love this thing — over 41,000 folks have given it a 5-star rating — and say it keeps drinks ice cold for up to 12 hours. It comes with two lids, one for sipping and one for a straw.
4. A double-insulated travel mug composed of durable, BPA-free plastic to keep your morning cup o' joe piping hot. No spills, and it's microwave and dishwasher safe.
5. A set of high-capacity rechargeable batteries with a charger since so many products require batteries. There are a lot of products out there — flameless LED candles, radios, etc. — that require batteries, and once they die it's right into the trash can. These bbs can be recharged at least 400 times, so there's really no reason not to make the switch.
6. A rainbow pack of silicone, reusable cupcake liners that are way better than the single-use alternative. Because they're silicone, no greasing or cooking spray is needed. They're also freezer, microwave, dishwasher, and oven safe.
7. A sweater pill remover so you can keep your clothes looking like new. You know how it goes: You buy a sweater, it becomes your favorite, and after awhile you notice it looks a little worse for wear. Either you shove it into the back of your closet or you give it the boot. Not anymore! Just lightly brush the pumice-like stone against the sweater's surface and voilà, all the pills are gone.
This is made from upcycled car windshield glass. Make sure to store this stone in its original box, and it can last you up to 10 years.
Celsious is a Black woman–owned, eco-friendly small business founded by sisters Corinna and Theresa Williams. And if you live near Williamsburg, Brooklyn, you should definitely check out their laundromat!
Check out this BuzzFeeder's full sweater pill remover review.
8. A Shark Tank–featured Rocketbook reusable 32-page smartnotebook that you can literally never fill up. Scan your pages right after you write them and they'll be saved forever on your device.
When you purchase it comes with one Rocketbook (8.5"x11") smartbook, one Pilot Frixion pen, and one microfiber cloth. You can also use any Pilot Frixion pen, marker, or highlighter. It's compatible with services like Google Drive, Dropbox, Evernote, Box, OneNote, Slack, iCloud, email, and more using the free Rocketbook application for iOS and Android.
Promising review: "This is a great product and a great idea. I am someone who has a lot of notebooks and journals; I like to write everything down so I remember it. I have wasted countless Post-it Notes writing to-do lists and this little notebook not only helps me preserve my beloved Post-its, it's great for the environment as I'm reusing the same pages instead of tearing them out and starting with a brand-new page or notebook. I wish I had known about this when I was going to college, how much time and money it would have saved me. I love the fact that you can just scan each page and send it to a specific place that you have designated. Way to go, Rocketbook! You are my new favorite thing! I literally show as many people as I can about this." —Natasha
Get it from Amazon for $20.07+ (available in executive and letter and nine colors).
9. A reusable and washable duster so you can replace the single-use, disposable Swiffer ones. It's made with eight layers of nonfraying fleece fabric for a poofy dusting pad that does a better job of collecting dust than the original, disposable version.
Psst — the seller notes that this works best with Swiffers with the yellow handle, but also is compatible with the blue handle. You should avoid using fabric softener when washing this duster so it won't lose its static cling.
TS Designs is a Michigan-based small business that offers vintage gifts and decor paired with eco-friendly items.
Promising review: "I love these! They are really thick and they wipe up the dust easily. I actually bought three so I could keep one on while the other is being washed. I had no issues with getting it on my holder. Glad to have found these!" —Rebecca Jo
10. A Bacon Sponge — a 100% organic cotton towel can absorb 10 times its weight in liquid. Now you won't have to use half a roll of paper towels just to absorb the grease and oil from cooking bacon.
To clean the towel, soak in hot water and a degreaser soap for 15 to 20 minutes.
Green City Living is a small business based in Denver that specializes in reusable and eco-friendly home goods. They donate 2.5% of sales to Climate Emergency Fund, an organization that supports climate activists.
Promising review: "These are amazing!!! They work! And no stains!!! I was concerned that since I don’t use Dawn or a big-name-brand dish soap, my Earth-friendly soap might not cut the grease as well, but that was not the case! My Bacon Sponge is perfectly clean and spotless! I love it! So glad I ordered two! I couldn’t be more pleased!!!" —cattealover
11. A Brita Ultra Max filtering dispenser so you can drink up to 18 glasses of deliciously cold, filtered water per fill. One filter's life is the equivalent of 300 plastic water bottles.
Make sure to replace the filter every 40 gallons or every two months. You can recycle your used filters through Brita's free recycling program. Just follow the instructions to send it in, and they'll do the rest.
Promising review: "I love this product. I don't know why people complain about it being too tall; it's as tall as a standard jug of milk. It does get kind of heavy, but the handles on the side are fine. The water is fresh and crisp, just like a normal Brita filter. Our last one cracked after many years so we upgraded to this. Highly recommend." —SirFrankoman
Get it from Amazon for $31.88.
12. A cold-brew maker that'll help you literally save hundreds of dollars a year AND stop using plastic cups from your local coffee shop. This product makes four servings of cold brew with any type of coffee grounds and is less acidic than traditional coffee brewing.
To use, add coffee into the mesh filter, pour water into the pitcher, screw the lid on (with the filter attached and submerged in the water), and let it brew for 12–24 hours. You can pour it straight over ice cubes, or cut it with water or milk. Read our Tayeka cold-brew maker review for more.
Promising review: "This coffee maker is my BEST FRIEND! I use this every day, it's so easy to use! My coffee comes out perfect every time. I'm a cold-coffee drinker and I put about 8–10 scoops of freshly ground coffee into the filter. I let it sit overnight and the next morning, I remove the filter and dump the grounds. It makes four days' worth of coffee and I love that it's ready to go for me, especially since I wake up at 4:50 a.m. and I need to make my coffee quickly! It's very easy to clean as well." —Panda
Get it from Amazon for $21.20+ (available in two sizes and three colors).
13. A pack of 30 multicolored, PVC-coated steel wire utility clips so you can prolong the life of your chips and other bagged snacks.
Promising review: "These clips are sturdy, dishwasher safe, and can be used for just about anything. They keep my cereal and chip bags closed tightly, can clip several items together on my desk, and look great when hanging student work in my classroom." —TwistedChick
Get it from Amazon for $5.99+ (available in other quantities and color combinations).
14. Or a pack of reusable drinking straws that snap open for easy cleaning, because using a tiny whisk to clean your reusable straw doesn't always work. These are also dishwasher safe.
15. A pack of reusable grocery bags that fold down to about the size of your palm. Chuck a few into your car's trunk for last-minute grocery runs, or keep one in your purse or backpack so you always have a bag handy. Each bag can hold up to 50 pounds and is machine washable.
Promising review: "I purchased these bags because I have quite a walk from my garage to my house. These bags are AMAZING! I stuff them full and they never tear. I also get water by the gallon and these bags hold them. They make my life easier!! Try these bags, you will love them!" —MB
Get a set of five bags from Amazon for $14.99+ (available in eight color sets).
16. A certified-organic waxed-canvas, plastic-free lunch bag that is as sustainable as it is cool looking. The canvas is stiff so the bag holds its shape, and when you roll down the top of the bag, it actually stays rolled down like it should. No more buying packs of paper lunch bags!
Promising review: "Spills (even big ones) don't leak through! I thought this was awesome when it arrived, but it really won my husband's heart yesterday when he took soup and fruit to work. At lunch, he opened his bag and found that his container of soup had opened and his fruit was floating in liquid. He poured the soup out and rinsed the inside of the thing with water, and was so surprised and pleased that he showed it to me — and had me smell the inside of the bag! — when he got home. I want to buy another one even though we don't need it just because it's that amazing!" —P.U. from Spokane
Get it from Amazon for $18.
17. Some wool dryer balls that are a reusable and eco-friendly alternative to chemical-laden, single-use fabric softener and dryer sheets. They're sold individually and you have the (free!) option to add a scent, of which 26 are available.
18. A roll of heavy-duty, eco-friendly, machine washable, reusable bamboo towels so you stop buying roll after roll of paper towels. One roll of these reusable ones will last you up to six months or 120+ washes.
You'll receive 20 sheets a roll, and the sheets are machine washable and reusable up to 120+ times before discarding.
Promising review: "Wow. I just used these for the first time to wash my windows. I get a lot of oily dirt from the road, and it usually smears around and gets stuck in whatever old washcloth or sock I am using. As soon as I dropped these in my bucket of soapy water and gave them a little scrub, the dirt lifted right out like magic. Next used them to clean crumbs and spills out of my fridge and freezer and same thing — they rinsed clean (almost clean) right away. There's some dirt still in them, but I'll put them through the wash next." —SBP
Get it from Amazon for $8.99.
19. A portable, rechargeable blender for making smoothies whenever, wherever. No more trips to the expensive juice bar! No more using wasteful disposable paper or plastic cups! *And* you'll save money on water because you won't be cleaning a huge 2-gallon blender each time you make a smoothie for one.
Plus, this is shatter resistant, dishwasher safe, and comes with an ice cube tray and funnel! ANDDD it's quiet, so you'll feel comfortable making your smoothie at work.
Promising review: "This blender is amazing! I am a yoga teacher and always on the run, which sometimes makes it hard to eat well. I bought this after reviewing quite a few different options and I am SO glad I did. It fits well into my gym bag, is surprisingly quiet when in use, and holds a charge really well. The blades are very efficient and I’ve had no trouble blending up ice or frozen fruit. Seriously cannot recommend it enough." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $36.99+ (available in five colors).
20. A MakeUp Eraser washcloth that you just add water to to take a full face of makeup off, even waterproof mascara! With this eraser, there's no need to bulk purchase those single-use makeup wipes that don't even work as well. It's also reusable and machine washable.
21. A set of silicone baking mats to prevent your baked goods from sticking to the pan. These reusable mats are much more sustainable and budget friendly than the single-use parchment paper you usually use to line your pans.
Promising review: "These baking mats are absolutely fantastic. The quality is superb, and SUCH a good price. I use them for just about everything I put in the oven: oven pizzas, cookies, you name it! I also love that besides food sliding easily off the nonstick surface, they help protect all my baking sheets and such. It’s also super handy to just throw them in the top shelf of the dishwasher or even just wipe clean. Update: I’ve had these mats and used them almost daily for nearly a year now. They still look brand new and I have had no problems with staining, melting, or wear. When using them, I cook most items at 375 degrees but have used them at up to 425 degrees several times with no issues so far. These things are fantastic and have paid for themselves many times over in the superior nonstick surface, ease of cleanup, and the cost of parchment paper and or/aluminum foil I used prior to discovering these." —Jezzhani
Get a two-pack from Amazon for $12.44.
22. A set of Oxo food storage containers with an airtight seal to keep your nonperishable pantry items fresh for longer. These are a staple at my house. Not only do they look great and make my pantry seem so organized, but thanks to the airtight seal food really does last longer, especially stuff like pasta and chips.
Push down the button on the top to activate the airtight seal. To open, just push down again for the button to pop up. The lid also comes apart for easier cleaning.
Promising review: "Love the Oxo pop-top canisters! They seal well and open easily with a press to the pop-top. I have arthritis in my hands and these are fabulous and so easy to open, yet so secure when the lid is popped close. Also has a useful knob on the bottom of the lid so you can stick an Oxo scoop inside the container to the lid rather than down in whatever you are storing in the container." —Lori A. Fregin
Get a 10-piece set from Amazon for $104.95.
23. A pack of super-cute reusable food pouches so you can make sure your little ones snack in style. Not only will you have the freedom to put whatever food you want in each pack, but you won't be tossing a single-use, store-bought one in the trash day after day.
Promising review: "I have been really pleased with these so far! They’re pretty easy to fill with a spoon, and the zipper at the bottom is sturdy. No leaks so far. I will say that although they’re tough enough for the dishwasher, whenever we run them through they tend to fold over, and the top half doesn’t get properly cleaned. They really need to be hand-washed. Still, they’ve saved us a bunch of money and have been totally worth it!" —Ms. S.
Get it from Amazon for $9.99+ (comes in two sizes and three counts).
24. A pack of Shark Tank–approved (the female founder made a massive $400,000 for 15% with a $400,000 line of credit deal with Mark Cuban!) reusable zipper storage bags because you shouldn't keep wasting your money on flimsy single-use plastic ones. They're freezer and dishwasher safe, so really what can't you use them for?!
Promising review: "This was a great deal that I couldn't pass up. I am actively trying to eliminate all plastics from my household and these are wonderful. I love Stasher bags and the quality is way better than any other silicone bags I have used. I have had some for years and they are still in just as great shape as when I got them. Love that you can freeze with them and they don't take up tons of space. I have never cooked with them but I would bet they hold up to their claims. They aren't cheap, but well worth the money! Highly recommend!" —TillyTally25
Get a pack of four large bags from Amazon for $62.77+ (other sizes and colors available).
25. Some silicone stretch lid covers that'll fit over bowls, cups, and even slices of produce (depending on the size you use) for an airtight seal. Not only will the lid prolong the life of your foodstuff, but you won't keep spending money on flimsy plastic wrap that always gets gross and messy.
Promising review: "This is truly an amazing replacement for plastic wrap or other covers that are not eco-friendly! And it saves you money in the long run! You can throw them in the fridge/freezer/microwave because they are made out of the most kitchen/Earth-friendly material...silicone! Plus, they're easy to clean, easy to use, and durable as hell!" —Tammy Cardona-Zambeis
Get a pack of six from Amazon for $11.49.
26. An extra-large silicone ice tray perfect for freezing large amounts of soup or broth for you to eat later. Each cube is the equivalent of one cup, so make a big pot of soup, sauce, or broth and then freeze it for later use! Now you won't have to spend money on takeout soup because you'll have some saved already.
Promising review: "This product is an absolute game changer for folks who cook in volume for food prep or just to store leftovers in an efficient, organized way! I saw these on a different site and definitely hesitated for a while due to the price. Finally sucked it up and ordered, couldn't be happier! I've made soups, enchilada sauce, chili, breakfast casserole, etc.! Great for portion sizing! My freezer is becoming much more organized, giving me more room! I've told everyone about these! Just love them!" —Deborah L. Hughes
Get a pack of two from Amazon for $36.99.