Barbie Breakout, a well-known German drag queen and DJ, has had it with Russia’s anti-gay propaganda law. In a video entitled “Open Your Mouth,” Breakout stares into the camera for a moment and then begins to sew her mouth shut with a needle and cotton thread. It’s painful to watch but, of course, that’s the point.
“The pain I felt inside when I had to see in the media what is happening in Russia was greater than the physical pain of the needle. My partner held the camera while I did it. But he couldn’t look,” Breakout told Die Welt. “In my youth I had more holes in an ear than through my mouth in this performance. Apart from a small bruise on my left upper lip, everything has healed up again. It was about symbolism, not about self-harm.”
3. Again, you’ve been warned.
- The Dakota Access Pipeline will no longer cross under a river near the Standing Rock Sioux reservation, a major victory for protesters.
- The death toll from Oakland's warehouse party fire has risen to 33. "We're expecting the worst and hoping for the best," officials said Sunday.
- An anti-establishment wave has prompted Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi to resign after losing a constitutional referendum.
- A woman clapped back at her anti-gay neighbor using festive rainbow Christmas lights 🎄👏