Barbie Breakout, a well-known German drag queen and DJ, has had it with Russia’s anti-gay propaganda law. In a video entitled “Open Your Mouth,” Breakout stares into the camera for a moment and then begins to sew her mouth shut with a needle and cotton thread. It’s painful to watch but, of course, that’s the point.
“The pain I felt inside when I had to see in the media what is happening in Russia was greater than the physical pain of the needle. My partner held the camera while I did it. But he couldn’t look,” Breakout told Die Welt. “In my youth I had more holes in an ear than through my mouth in this performance. Apart from a small bruise on my left upper lip, everything has healed up again. It was about symbolism, not about self-harm.”
3. Again, you’ve been warned.
- Barack Obama had his final press conference as president, defending his legacy and vowing to fight Trump if the nation's "core values may be at stake."
- Donald Trump's pick for health secretary, Tom Price, refused to say at his confirmation hearing whether or not he would cut Medicare and Medicaid.
- It's official: Scientists announced today that 2016 was the hottest year on record and that greenhouse gases are to blame ♨️️🌍
- "Will & Grace" will return for a 10-episode revival. Debra Messing and Eric McCormack will reprise their roles in the groundbreaking NBC sitcom 📺