Barbie Breakout, a well-known German drag queen and DJ, has had it with Russia’s anti-gay propaganda law. In a video entitled “Open Your Mouth,” Breakout stares into the camera for a moment and then begins to sew her mouth shut with a needle and cotton thread. It’s painful to watch but, of course, that’s the point.
“The pain I felt inside when I had to see in the media what is happening in Russia was greater than the physical pain of the needle. My partner held the camera while I did it. But he couldn’t look,” Breakout told Die Welt. “In my youth I had more holes in an ear than through my mouth in this performance. Apart from a small bruise on my left upper lip, everything has healed up again. It was about symbolism, not about self-harm.”
3. Again, you’ve been warned.
- Hillary Clinton returned to the public arena in one of her first political appearances since the election, urging Democrats to "keep fighting."
- The White House blocked several media ooutlets it's been critical of, including BuzzFeed, from a closed-door briefing by Press Secretary Sean Spicer.
- The White House strongly denies reports that Chief of Staff Reince Priebus urged the FBI to undermine stories linking Trump to Russia.
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.