People Are Calling Out How Poorly Designed Modern Homes Are, And It’s Fascinating To Me
Here's what they said:
1. "White kitchens. I don’t get it. Also every shade of gray imaginable. Color isn’t a bad thing. Dining rooms and formal living rooms are unnecessary and stupid. Give me a bigger kitchen eating area and a bigger family room — that’s where people are going to be. Also, lack of or small storage spaces. Like, pantry, coat closet, garage."
2. "I hate when they make everything 'built-in' — the TV, the microwave, the fridge. Forty years ago, things were made to last. Now, in the last 5–10 years, you have to spend extra money on refitting the appliance or have a weird gap around it."
3. "Concrete flooring! Why are new home builders putting down concrete flooring throughout the entire house? It’s ugly and such an unpleasant flooring choice."
4. "Using the entire size of the lot for solely the house. We would like a backyard to enjoy."
5. "Barn doors are ugly and useless! Stop putting them in every renovation or new build."
6. "Open shelves in kitchens for all your plates, glasses, etc. Looks really cool, but imagine all that dust and grime and grease that will settle on them. Yuck!"
7. "I was recently house-hunting and coat closets were rare, and entryways lacked space for racks etc. I'm in the mountains, so everyone needs coats. Where on earth are they putting them?!"
8. "Every time someone smashes out a cute, mid-century bathroom with colorful fixtures to make it a plain, white hellscape with LED lighting, a piece of my heart dies."
9. "Open concept homes. I don't want to live with my kitchen mess. I don't want to see my breakfast dishes or cluttered countertops when I walk in the door."