2. Rick Ross has blamed his seizures on “sleep deprivation,” but he frequently writes rhymes about purple drank or sizzurp.
6. From the Wikipedia article for “Purple drank”:
Purple drank is a slang term for a recreational drug popular in the hip hop community in the southern United States, originating in Houston, Texas. Its main ingredient is prescription-strength cough syrup containing codeine and promethazine. Cough syrup is typically mixed with ingredients such as Sprite soft drink or Mountain Dew and pieces of Jolly Rancher candy. The purplish hue of purple drank comes from dyes in the cough syrup.
7. Erowid.org, a prominent drug forum, has a fairly detailed report of what a sizzurp trip is like:
This report from 2010 details an anonymous 130-pound male doing 20 ml of promethzine, and then re-upping with 15 ml twice during the trip. The following photos were taken from the #sizzurp Instagram tag.
13. Most of the other Erowid trip reports describe very similar effects:
• Waves of nausea
• Constricted pupils
• Intense drowsiness
• Droopy eyes
• Slurred speech
• Mild euphoria
• Occasional, though rare, visual hallucinations, mainly consisting of flashing lights or colors
• Inner numbness
17. Because of promethazine’s dangerous side effects, in many countries it’s illegal to prescribe to children and the elderly:
Since its approval in 1951, serious and often life-threatening adverse events, including respiratory depression, oversedation, agitation, hallucinations, seizures, and dystonic reactions, have been reported with promethazine use in children.
21. Here’s a video of someone “20 minutes after he sipped on a bottle of purple drank.”
- It's time: Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump will face off tonight at 9 p.m. ET in the first of three US presidential debates.