3. He liked break dancing.
5. He stood up to Congress and argued that recording television shows with VHS was fair use, and that doing this allowed working families to sit together and watch TV together.
6. And both horror director George A. Romero and Michael Keaton got their start on Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood.
10. And in 1997, he made a room full of some of Hollywood’s biggest celebrities break down and cry.
Esquire’s beautiful description of the amazing moment:
Mister Rogers went onstage to accept the award — and there, in front of all the soap opera stars and talk show sinceratrons, in front of all the jutting man-tanned jaws and jutting saltwater bosoms, he made his small bow and said into the microphone, “All of us have special ones who have loved us into being. Would you just take, along with me, ten seconds to think of the people who have helped you become who you are. Ten seconds of silence.”
And then he lifted his wrist, looked at the audience, looked at his watch, and said, “I’ll watch the time.” There was, at first, a small whoop from the crowd, a giddy, strangled hiccup of laughter, as people realized that he wasn’t kidding, that Mister Rogers was not some convenient eunuch, but rather a man, an authority figure who actually expected them to do what he asked. And so they did. One second, two seconds, three seconds — and now the jaws clenched, and the bosoms heaved, and the mascara ran, and the tears fell upon the beglittered gathering like rain leaking down a crystal chandelier. And Mister Rogers finally looked up from his watch and said softly “May God be with you,” to all his vanquished children.
- Barack Obama became the first sitting U.S. president to visit the site of the atomic bombing in Hiroshima, Japan. The "memory of August 6, 1945 must never fade."
- A Silicon Valley college faked grades, dodged immigration authorities, and made a fortune, BuzzFeed News has found 💰🎓
- Twenty-three athletes who competed in the 2012 Olympic Games in London have failed retrospective doping tests, officials say.