1. Lady the black Labrador has had something of a traumatic life.
The elderly pooch, who suffers from arthritis, was placed in an animal shelter after her owner died in 2012.
She was then adopted, and was more than content until her new family got another small dog. The pets did not get on and Lady was once again sent to a shelter.
2. Again Lady was re-homed but she just wanted to be back with her family in Sedan, Kan., and so escaped and walked almost 30 miles home. However, her previous owners would not take her back.
Cindy Barclay Powell, a volunteer at the Chautauqua County Animal Shelter, wrote on Facebook on 22 July: “Her ‘family’ can not take her back because of the little dogs. Is there anyone out there who can give this girl a home?
“She may not have many years left. She is spayed, house-broken and leash-trained, mellow, having problems walking (so her travels back to Sedan amazed me).”
3. After the adoption plea spread across the internet there was finally some good news for Lady.
After reading about the dog’s situation, Helen Rich, an heir to the Wrigley chewing-gum fortune, decided to adopt her.
5. She told Today.com: “Because I know rescues so well, I knew a lot of people would be scrambling to get a celebrity dog [but] she would wait and wait and wait and wait.”
“And who knows who she’d wind up with, and if it’s the right place? So, I said, ‘Chet, get a jet, and go get my dog!’”
6. On her decision to take on another animal, Rich said: “I’ve had a tough life; just because I have a family name, it doesn’t mean diddly,” referencing her rough childhood and two battles with breast cancer.
“I’ve had to survive and endure and walk a long, long way like her. She endured. I endured. Her story resonated with me.”