1. This is Madison Rising, “America’s Most Patriotic Rock Band,” according to the announcer at Saturday’s Nationwide Series race at Daytona, where they performed the national anthem.
It really picks up at 1:30.
3. This kid is like, “Are these guys serious?”
4. A few drivers were left chuckling after the performance, and commenters on the YouTube video were less than pleased.
6. And the comments on social media were also, unsurprisingly, pretty scathing.
11. According to their website, Madison Rising’s goal is to “send a message that American culture is alive and well,” with songs like “Right To Bear” and “Honk If You Want Peace.”
14. Watch the New York-based rock band perform “The Star Spangled Banner” in the studio, complete with images of flying eagles and a fireworks display behind the Statue of Liberty.
15. “[T]he controversy in Daytona is simple – people were expecting milk and they got orange juice,” band spokesman Richard Mgrdechian explained to BuzzFeed in an emailed statement.
“I would encourage everyone to watch our official video to get familiar with the song, then make up their minds,” he said. “Lots of people go into it wanting to hate it, but the vast, vast majority of them come out with goosebumps, tears in their eyes and our version downloaded onto their iPods to listen to every day. That’s [sic] was our goal.”
- For MLK Day, we're taking a look at some rare pictures of Martin Luther King Jr.
- At least four people were killed in a shooting at a Mexican music festival.