A couple of weeks ago, we polled our audience to see what they thought about a number of controversial plane etiquette points.
The jury (yes, that's all 250,000 of you who voted) has reached their final decision, and we, BuzzFeed, will be chiseling these rules into a stone tablet somewhere.
1. Please do not rest your feet on the back of the seat in front of you — it's disgusting.
2. Saying hello to the stranger sitting next to you is the polite and friendly thing to do.
3. You probably shouldn't take your shoes off.
4. If you get separated from your significant other, it's perfectly fine to ask someone to switch seats with you. Just don't expect them to say yes.
5. Clapping when the plane lands is for tacky Americans.
6. The middle seat gets both arm rests.
7. Reclining your seat is sometimes a necessary evil, and you're not a selfish asshole if you do it.
8. If you're thirsty, use the call button. That's what it's there for.
9. You're well within your right to wake someone up if they fall asleep on you.
10. People gotta eat! It's OK to bring in outside food on a plane.
11. You should not stand near the boarding gate if your group hasn't been called.
12. Go ahead and ask for that second snack on a JetBlue flight.
13. Don't put your coat in the overhead bin.
14. Be patient once the plane is landed — you should stay seated until it's actually time to exit the plane.
15. And under no circumstances should you stand in the aisle.
Quotes have been edited for length and clarity.