1. Macaulay Culkin and Anna Chlumsky in “My Girl”
I wanted a boy best friend soooo bad after watching this movie. Too bad I didn’t learn how to talk to them until age 19.
2. Clarissa and Sam
Another fantasy of a boy best friend before sexual tension enters the picture.
3. Liv Tyler and Alicia Silverstone (in Aerosmith’s “Crazy” Video)
Despite how totally HOT this video is (re: Liv Tyler’s Silver Bra at 4:04), I sort of believe girls were more into this video than guys were. It’s a total fantasy of empowering, man-eating female friendship with a titillating hint of lesbianism.
4. Evan Dando and Juliana Hatfield
When I was 12 or so, I often thought and speculated about the lives of people I never met, which often included daydreaming about Evan Dando and Juliana Hatfield’s platonic love. They would take turns cooking each other breakfast, wear each other’s clothes and be perpetually sun-drenched, according to my teenage brain.
5. Little Pete and Artie
There were a few great friendships in The Adventures of Pete and Pete but there was something really simple and pure about Artie and Little Pete. When Artie realizes Little Pete doesn’t need him anymore, he leaves Wellsville for good. It’s a sad, poignant message about the pains of growing up.
6. Ben Stiller and Janeane Garofalo
They were the Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein of the ’90s.
8. The Women of “Waiting To Exhale”
See, look how happy and cute they are despite the sh*tty men they date.That’s the sign of healthy, relatable, female friendships. P.S. the book is way better than the movie.
10. Julie and Heather from Real World Season 1
This is the true story of a country bumpkin and a hardcore female rapper who end up as real friends. This season is on Hulu, by the way, and totally worth watching, if you want to immerse yourself in NYC during the early ’90s. Despite probably being the annoying hipsters of their time, the entire cast is crushworthy and awesome.
13. River Phoenix and Keanu Reeves
They met on the set of Parenthood in 1988. If not endearing, they were at least the cutest (in the literal sense) friends of the ’90s.
- Donald Trump's pick for commerce secretary, Wilbur Ross, admitted at his confirmation hearing he once employed an undocumented immigrant as a household worker.
- It's official: Scientists announced today that 2016 was the hottest year on record and that greenhouse gasses are to blame ♨️️🌍
- President Obama commuted Chelsea Manning's 35-year sentence for giving classified documents to WikiLeaks. She'll be freed in May.
- "Will & Grace" will return with a 10-episode revival. Debra Messing, Eric McCormack, and Sean Hayes will reprise their roles in the groundbreaking NBC sitcom.