25 Essential Tube Hacks From Londoners
Make the hell that is your daily tube journey that little bit more tolerable.
1. If you're wondering whether it's quicker to walk – it often is.
2. If you ever find yourself on a VERY busy platform and it looks like you'll never get on, there is an answer...
3. It's a good idea to know where the toilets are.
4. And to know where the stairs are.
6. If you're in a rush or you don't have an Oyster card...
8. Be wary of the worst stations to change at.. and avoid them.
9. Know your tube line speeds: The Piccadilly beats the District between Acton Town and Earl's Court, and the Victoria beats the Piccadilly between King's Cross and Finsbury Park.
10. If you're pregnant, make sure you get a badge.
11. If you want to get off the tube at EXACTLY the right exit for your onward journey, there's an app for that.
Not much beats the satisfaction of getting off the tube right by the exit you want. Luckily, the Tube Exits app for iOS will tell you exactly which carriage and door you need to get on at for this to happen, as does the even more comprehensive Station Master app. If you're on Android, the London Tube Assistant app is a good alternative.
12. If that's not enough, there's an app that tells you all the best tube station shortcuts.
Again, the Station Master iOS app has even has 3D maps of the stations, so you can spot the shortcuts that the signs don't want you to take.
13. If you get the Victoria line to King's Cross and you need a national rail connection, you might be tempted to follow this "Trains" sign. But don't!
Instead, go towards the "Way out"/Euston Road exit and you'll find a much quicker route that way.
14. And still at King's Cross, if you want a quick way to the Northern line, break the rules and use the northern ticket hall.
15. For a quick way to get to the DLR at Bank, follow the Northern line signs.
16. That tip works when changing to or from the Central and Circle/District lines too.
17. This fabulous tip will save you minutes of agonising feet shuffling.
18. If you want to change from the Central to the Piccadilly at Holborn, be a rebel.
19. If you're changing at Camden Town, make sure you use the tunnel at the south of the platform (so, back of the train if you're going north, front if you're going south).
20. DO NOT be tempted by the stairs at Russell Square.
21. If you're waiting for a Bakerloo train to go from Edgware Road to Baker Street, it's quicker to walk.
22. If you need to get the Northern line all the way across Central London... just don't. The Victoria line is quicker.
If you're going all the along the Northern line without getting off in Zone 1, change at Stockwell and Euston and take the Victoria line instead – it covers the same distance much faster. Then just change back to the Northern line at the other end.