2. Telenovelas will forever be a staple of Spanish-language television.
You may not like them but your tias do.
3. Mexico is a hotbed of cinematic excellence.
Alfonso Cuaron most recently won a Best Director Oscar for a little film called Gravity. NBD.
11. The song El Raton Vaquero by Cri Cri was the first time you heard someone speak English.
17. A dance party isn’t a dance party without Los Angeles Azules.
27. And the power of the “iFUAAAAA!”?
34. Oaxaca and Puebla will always battle it out for the best mole sauce in the world!
What is mole? It’s a concoction of several different ingredients that could include peanuts, pine nuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, squash seeds, cilantro, seedless grapes, plantains, garlic, onion, cinnamon, chocolate, chili peppers like ancho, pasilla, mulato and chipotle. Not all are made the same, but they’re all delicious.
Number 30 has been changed to better represent my people. Thanks, Lailan!
- Miami Marlins star pitcher José Fernández has died in a boating accident. He was 24.