35 Frustrating Things About Playing Video Games In The '90s
Battletoads, Virtual Boy, Double Dragon III, underwater levels... What do they all have in common?
1. When your parents shut off the console at a crucial moment in the game.
2. The depression that followed this heartbreaking screen.
3. When you forgot to blow into your cartridge before playing it.
4. The absurd wind tunnel level in Battletoads.
5. The time Phillips' CD-I butchered these two great Nintendo-licensed franchises.
Imagine someone peeing on the Mona Lisa. This is the equivalent. If not worse.
6. When Street Fighter 2010 had nothing to do with Street Fighter.
7. When you were forced to buy the old console to get the new one.
8. The horrible transition of great movies to shitty video games.
Was "The Curse of the Pyramids" in Part II or Part III? Oh, it wasn't in the movie? Ok...
And the horrible transition of great video games to shitty movies.
Remember when King Koopa used a bazooka in the game? Nope.
9. ALL underwater levels.
Video games go to die under water.
Let's remember the game that set the bar...
10. That person who did the same move over and over again in fighting games.
11. That obnoxious kid who had a subscription to Nintendo Power.
12. Your first introduction to a "NOW LOADING" screen.
You actually have to... wait?
13. When your power strip failed to do its job.
14. Not having quarters at Pizza Hut.
15. Learning the hard way the difference between cartridges and disks.
16. Finding out you had the "bloodless" version of Mortal Kombat.
17. The time you discovered Double Dragon III only gave you ONE LIFE for the entire game.
ONE... FRICKIN'... LIFE...
18. Multiplayer meant WAITING FOR YOUR DAMN TURN.
19. The absolute uselessness of Miles "Tails" Prower.
20. The friend who boasted catching all 151 Pokemon but didn't tell you he used this little gem:
21. The time Nintendo and DC teamed up to slap you in the face with this monstrosity:
Those... damn... rings...
22. When game designers got extremely arrogant and put out ads like this:
23. When games sped up the music to let you know YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE.
24. When horrendous music killed your gaming experience.
25. Finding out the N64 had no video features.
26. The laughable Japanese to English translation.
27. Watching contestants struggle on Nick Arcade.
28. The show-off on Dance Dance Revolution.
29. Those ridiculous large-sized boxes for Sega Saturn games.
30. The soul-crushing punishment for purchasing a bootleg copy of Earthbound.
31. When you faced off against an unforgiving CPU in the arcade version of Street Fighter.
32. When terrible gaming design cost you a life.
33. Having to choose between one of these two glorious consoles:
You could only have one.
And then later, having to choose between these two legendary consoles: