2. The problem with this image is that it takes a very wonderful verse out of context just by superimposing it on a photo that isn’t relevant to the message Apostle Paul had for the Philippians. Paul’s message was not really about exercise or physical feats.
4. Paul was writing from prison! And he wanted the Philippians to know that despite his current circumstances, he was content. Take a look at the context.
5. Philippians 4:11-13 (ESV)
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
*Note: We know Paul means “God” when he uses the pronoun “Him” because of the verses preceding. (And well, all of Paul’s writings.)
7. Here is a better example. Have you ever walked home in the rain because you can’t afford a car? I know I have! It frustrated me and I felt discontented. That’s the kind of situation Paul is talking about. So this photo would be a better background.
8. See, if the Apostle Paul could learn contentment while in prison and with his life under threat, then surely I can learn contentment too.
*Granted, all of these images, if viewed alone, may lead you to some wrong conclusions about the verse. But I use them facetiously just to make a point about Paul’s context here. Paul’s context is important. And the topic is contentment.
16. Contentment is possible. Indeed, Paul’s entire value system is summed up in the opening verses of the book - for Paul, “to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” (Philippians 1:21).
17. If I want to truly understand Philippians 4:13, I need to pray that God works that same value system into my life and helps me find contentment in my life - whether I live in plenty or want.
- Republicans are working overnight trying to finalize a deal that'd allow their Obamacare replacement plan to pass in the House.
- Rep. Adam Schiff said there's "more than circumstantial evidence" that Trump's campaign colluded with Russia during the election.
- Four people died in what officials are calling a terror attack after a car drove into pedestrians near Parliament in London. A suspect was also killed by police.
- A 4-month-old golden retriever named after Joe Biden got to meet and even lick the former vice president at the Capitol today 🐶❤️