We used BuzzFeed’s “highly scientific” polling function to find out how parents really feel about the most controversial topics in parenting.
1. Can a child get a well-rounded social and academic experience through homeschooling?
Over 150,500 people don’t believe they can.
2. Is it appropriate for a baby to be breastfed in public?
Eighty-five percent of respondents gave a resounding HELL YES.
3. Is it appropriate to circumcise newborn boys?
This topic got heated in the comments, with a very vocal 71% coming down against circumcision.
4. Would you spank your child?
Our audience is pretty split on this, with nearly 106,000 people saying no, while just under 100,000 people said they would.
5. Would you let your baby cry it out?
About 117,000 readers said no to this form of sleep training.
6. Do you vaccinate your children?
A whopping 94% of the parents polled had fully vaccinated their kids.
7. Should drugs be administered for pain during childbirth?
Only 8% (or about 16,700 people) thought moms should skip the drugs.
8. Would you schedule an elective C-section for the birth of your child?
Just over one-third parents said they would opt for a C-section without medical necessity.
9. Is it OK for grade school-aged children to drink soda/caffeine?
Only 32% of the parents polled would schedule a playdate at Starbucks.
10. Do you think the Common Core standards are an improvement on the way you learned math?
Nearly 80% of the parents polled were not fans of the Common Core standards.
11. Do you share photos of your kids online?
About 132,200 of those polled were happy to share.
12. Do you allow your children unsupervised access to social media?
The majority of parents are keeping their kids’ social media in check.
13. Do you co-sleep with your children?
Co-sleepers are in the minority, with just 37% sharing a family bed.
14. Do you allow your kids to swear at home?
Nearly 30,000 parents don’t think swearing is a big deal.
15. Is it ever appropriate to discipline someone else’s child?
About a third of parents said that they’d lay down the law on a kid who wasn’t their own.
16. Is it ever appropriate to put your kid on a leash?
Readers were split on this, with 47% open to using a leash.
- The FBI will reopen its investigation into Hillary Clinton's private email server after discovering new emails.
- Former employees of Palantir, one of Silicon Valley's most valuable startups, are struggling to cash out of stock options 📉
- Russia has been blocked from serving on the UN Human Rights Council in a surprising vote.
- Here are some of the best Vines to watch before Twitter kills it 💀