It's December, which means it's that time of year again! Making resolutions, creating goals for the new year, and saying goodbye to the old and hello to the new!
When it comes to fashion, it's no different. While we're all getting ready for some sure-to-be-iconic 2023 fashion, it's time to say goodbye to some older trends. Recently, I asked the BuzzFeed Community which trends they want to see die with 2022, and they certainly did not hold back.
So, let's ring in the New Year right, and say goodbye to these 33 trends:
Note: Trends are a completely and totally made-up concept and something corporations manufacture for their own capitalist agendas. Every person I used as an example in this post looks incredible and are merely used as a visual aid, NOT for the purpose of ridicule.
1. "Resin jewelry! It looks cheap and tacky, yet sellers charge a fortune for it. Also, it's horrendous for the environment."
2. "We need to ditch the tiny purses that hold a single chapstick."
3. "The checker-print everywhere thing got real old real quick. It's cute, but it's a trend that is on a crash course."
4. "Wolf cuts!!!"
5. "Low-rise jeans. They take so much work and planning to look good."
6. "Chunky loafers need to stop being a thing because they're uncomfortable as hell."
7. "That make-up-trend that has been going on for years now: covering your face with tons of foundation (which makes your contours and natural facial features disappear, which makes you look like a glitched Sims character), and therefore needing tons of other products to re-paint your face again."
8. "Every top/jacket/blouse being cropped. I can never find basic items that aren't cropped (plain fitted tees, tank tops, etc.). Things that are slightly cropped, I have to buy a couple sizes up to compensate for the length. Is it really too much to ask for trendy clothes that aren't cropped?"
9. "Matching sets. I said what I said. 🤷🏽♀️"
10. "The whole Y2K thing can go honestly."
11. "Tiny sunglasses. Seriously, what good are those doing? They’re barely big enough to cover your eyeball!"
12. "Sherpa EVERYTHING. I don't want to see another crusty, fuzzy bag. They get so gross so easily and just don't look good. It'll be out of style in a matter of months, and all those Marc Jacobs bags will end up at Goodwill."
13. "Bucket hats. My god, burn them! They serve no purpose and look good on absolutely no one."
15. "Short pants. Aren't your ankles cold? Did we learn nothing from cold shoulder tops?"
16. "Skinny jeans. You all look like Gru."
17. "The man bun. Every time I see one, I wanna knock the guy out and cut it off."
18. "High-waisted everything. If you look at Old Navy, every pair of pants is high-waisted or even higher than high-waisted. Please leave a few mid-waist options for us short girls. I don't need my jeans to cover my boobs."
19. "Those extremely tight leggings that go all the way into your ass. It's like wearing a thong, but with legs. Please go away."
20. "What do you call that thing with the pants and boots morphed into one that Kim Kardashian always wears? That thing. Make it go away."
21. "When there's more cutouts than fabric. We can leave that behind."
22. "Laminated eyebrows. These will be like the thin eyebrows of the '00s that haunt millennials. Absolutely ludicrous."
23. "Bike shorts. Enough with the camel toe!"
24. "Clothes made with either really thin fabric or fabric that starts pilling immediately after you buy it. It's getting harder and harder to find normal shirts where the fabric doesn't feel like tissue paper."
25. "Please stop with the Crocs. They are literally rubber clogs with holes in them. I hate when I’m at work and all the staff has scrubs and Crocs on. It’s so gross. What if some bodily fluid falls in one of those holes? Do you think about that? Plus, they’re so ugly! Just stop."
26. "Hugely oversized stuff. I bought a coat that was a size 00 (which I am not), and it was still very loose, which would have been fine, but the shoulders were comically large on me."
27. "Bleached eyebrows, I never understood them."
28. "Mullets. They didn't look good in the '80s, and they don't look good now."
29. "Wide-legged jeans! I did my time with those things. I don't want to relive it!"
30. "Personally, I don't really like the 'Y2k grunge fairy' trend with, like, a lot of browns and long denim skirts. It looks very drab, and I hate the color brown. Everyone has their own style and can make it work, but I do hate seeing this style."
31. And finally, "Anything that Portia has worn in The White Lotus."
Note: Some submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.