65 Songs You Will Never Be Able To Listen To The Same Way Again
What you are about to read may change your life.
1. Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" was originally written for Celine Dion.
2. The song "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia is actually a cover. The original is by Ednaswap.
3. "Tainted Love" is a cover as well. The original is by Gloria Jones and came out in 1964.
4. ALSO "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" is a cover by some dude. The original is by a guy named Robert Hazard.
5. One last one: "I Love Rock & Roll" is a cover. It was originally by The Arrows, not Joan Jett.
6. The song "Sweet Child of Mine" was written in five minutes.
7. The song "Like a Virgin" is actually about a guy getting over a breakup.
8. Little Richard's "Tutti Frutti" is actually about anal sex.
9. The song "Summer of 69" by Bryan Adams is about 69'ing, like, sexually. In this interview, he said: "Some parts [of the song] are autobiographical, but the title comes from the idea of 69 as a metaphor for sex. Most people thought it was about the year 1969."
10. Serial killer Aileen Wuornos was obsessed with Natalie Merchant's "Carnival." She requested they play it at her funeral.
11. Billy Joel's "Only the Good Die Young" is about a man trying to convince a Catholic girl to lose her virginity to him.
12. Sarah McLachlan's song "Angel" is about heroin addiction.
13. The song "Closing Time" by Semisonic is not about closing a bar, it's about the birth of the lead singer's daughter.
14. "Zombie" by The Cranberries is about terrorism in Northern Ireland.
15. "Slide" by The Goo Goo Dolls is about abortion.
16. "Brick" by Ben Folds Five is also about abortion.
17. And "The Freshman" by The Verve Pipe is about abortion as well.
18. Shel Silverstein wrote "A Boy Named Sue."
19. "Gettin' Jiggy wit It" was written by Nas.
20. The song "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" samples this YouTube video of a girl stacking cups. "OH MY GOSH."
21. Justin Timberlake's "Rock Your Body" was written by Pharrell for Michael Jackson's final album, Invincible.
22. "…Baby One More Time" was rejected by TLC.
23. Rihanna's "Umbrella" was supposed to be a Britney Spears song.
24. Leona Lewis was originally supposed to sing Rihanna's "We Found Love."
25. "Toxic" was intended for Kylie Minogue, not Britney Spears.
26. Britney Spears' "I'm a Slave 4 U" was written for Janet Jackson.
27. "Semi-Charmed Life" is about a couple on a crystal meth binge.
31. "The Way" by Fastball is about an elderly couple who went missing and were later found dead in a ravine.
32. Bruce Springsteen wrote "Blinded by the Light."
33. "Since U Been Gone" was turned down by Pink and Hilary Duff before Kelly Clarkson recorded it.
34. Bruno Mars wrote CeeLo Green's "Fuck You."
35. "Me and Mr. Jones" by Amy Winehouse is about Nas.
36. Avril Lavigne helped write the Kelly Clarkson song "Breakaway." It was meant to go on Avril's first album, the one with "Sk8er Boi" and "Complicated," but it didn't really fit with her image.
37. "How Will I Know" by Whitney Houston was originally supposed to be for Janet Jackson.
38. Kylie Minogue's "Can't Get You Out of My Head" was written for S Club 7.
39. Jesse McCartney wrote Leona Lewis' "Bleeding Love."
40. Frank Ocean wrote the Justin Bieber song "Bigger."
41. Aretha Franklin's "Respect" was written by Otis Redding. You can listen to his version here.
42. "You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morissette is about Dave Coulier (from Full House).
43. "Ben" by Michael Jackson was originally intended for Donny Osmond.
44. Eve 6's "Here's to the Night" is about a one-night stand.
45. Miley Cyrus' "We Can't Stop" was originally intended for Rihanna.
46. "Bad" was originally supposed to be a duet between Michael Jackson and Prince.
47. The song "Hey Ya" by Outkast is actually about a man stuck in a loveless relationship.
48. The DMB song "Crash" is sung from the perspective of a peeping tom.
49. "Disturbia" by Rihanna was originally a Chris Brown song.
50. Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl" MAY actually be about his then-fling, Elle Macpherson.
51. Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" is about his then-girlfriend, Rosanna Arquette.
52. Lori Lieberman wrote "Killing Me Softly," not Roberta Flack.
53. Shania Twain or Faith Hill were both given the opportunity to record Beyoncé's "Irreplaceable."
54. "Candle in the Wind" was originally written about Marilyn Monroe but rewritten about Princess Diana when she was killed and titled "Goodbye England's Rose."
55. Bob Marley's "I Shot The Sheriff" is about birth control. Bob Marley didn't want his girlfriend to take birth control pills. The doctor who prescribed the pills was the sheriff.
56. The song "There She Goes" by Sixpence None the Richer is about heroin. The song was actually originally by The La's too.
57. LFO's "Girl on TV" is about Jennifer Love Hewitt.
58. Usher's "Burn" is about Chilli from TLC.
59. The song "Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani was written in response to something Courtney Love said about Gwen in Seventeen magazine.
60. Madonna's "Take a Bow" is reportedly about Sean Penn.
61. "Hero" by Mariah Carey was originally intended for Gloria Estefan.
62. Lady Gaga's "Telephone" was originally written for Britney Spears. You can listen to Britney's demo here.
63. Prince wrote The Bangles' "Manic Monday."
64. The song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" is not about an LSD trip. It's about a painting John Lennon's son drew for him.
65. Prince's song "1999" is about nuclear war.
Note: Some of these have been corrected and changed thanks in part to readers like you.