Jordyn Wieber performs on the uneven bars.
At the Women’s Olympic Gymnastic preliminaries, the current World Champion, Jordyn Wieber, came in 4th place out of 60 athletes. 24 athletes qualified for the all-around competition.
Jordyn wasn’t one of them.
Why? Because of a “two-per country” rule that says only 2 athletes from one country can qualify for the all-around event. The rule was put in place to promote diversity and prevent a medal sweep.
Basically, Jordyn came in 4th place and didn’t qualify, while the person who came in 28th place did.
4. The 4 gymnasts that technically qualified, but will not be able to compete are:
British gymnast Jennifer Pinches.
Chinese gymnast Yao Jinnan.
Russian gymnast Anastasia Grishina.
And of course, Jordyn Wieber.
- The Trump administration wants to send immigrants caught at the southern US border to Mexico even if they're not from the country.
- Several states will keep enforcing bans against transgender discrimination in schools after Trump withdrew guidelines protecting students.
- Police arrested at least 10 people on Wednesday as they began clearing out protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.
- A couple recently celebrated their engagement with a "La La Land" inspired photo shoot, and it's pretty cute 💍📷