Jordyn Wieber performs on the uneven bars.
At the Women’s Olympic Gymnastic preliminaries, the current World Champion, Jordyn Wieber, came in 4th place out of 60 athletes. 24 athletes qualified for the all-around competition.
Jordyn wasn’t one of them.
Why? Because of a “two-per country” rule that says only 2 athletes from one country can qualify for the all-around event. The rule was put in place to promote diversity and prevent a medal sweep.
Basically, Jordyn came in 4th place and didn’t qualify, while the person who came in 28th place did.
4. The 4 gymnasts that technically qualified, but will not be able to compete are:
British gymnast Jennifer Pinches.
Chinese gymnast Yao Jinnan.
Russian gymnast Anastasia Grishina.
And of course, Jordyn Wieber.
- President Trump laid out an ambitious agenda in his speech to Congress, but Republicans are still divided on how to pass that agenda.
- The FBI is investigating if bomb threats against Jewish centers came from an internet "troll" and are profiling a lone, young, tech-savvy person.
- Facebook is using artificial intelligence for suicide prevention, scanning feeds for signs of people at risk of self-harm, then offering resources for help.
- Uber's CEO said he's "seeking leadership help" after dash-cam footage was published of him aggressively arguing with a company driver 😳