Jordyn Wieber performs on the uneven bars.
At the Women’s Olympic Gymnastic preliminaries, the current World Champion, Jordyn Wieber, came in 4th place out of 60 athletes. 24 athletes qualified for the all-around competition.
Jordyn wasn’t one of them.
Why? Because of a “two-per country” rule that says only 2 athletes from one country can qualify for the all-around event. The rule was put in place to promote diversity and prevent a medal sweep.
Basically, Jordyn came in 4th place and didn’t qualify, while the person who came in 28th place did.
4. The 4 gymnasts that technically qualified, but will not be able to compete are:
British gymnast Jennifer Pinches.
Chinese gymnast Yao Jinnan.
Russian gymnast Anastasia Grishina.
And of course, Jordyn Wieber.
- One week into the fight to take back Mosul, expectations for quick success have clashed with the reality of a bloody struggle ahead.
- An adult film actress says Donald Trump, or someone on his behalf, offered her $10,000 and the use of his private jet to come to his suite.
- The Chicago Cubs are heading to their first World Series since 1945 after beating the Los Angeles Dodgers 🐻
- Round of applause: This teen got a standing ovation for her high school presentation on white privilege.