Jordyn Wieber performs on the uneven bars.
At the Women’s Olympic Gymnastic preliminaries, the current World Champion, Jordyn Wieber, came in 4th place out of 60 athletes. 24 athletes qualified for the all-around competition.
Jordyn wasn’t one of them.
Why? Because of a “two-per country” rule that says only 2 athletes from one country can qualify for the all-around event. The rule was put in place to promote diversity and prevent a medal sweep.
Basically, Jordyn came in 4th place and didn’t qualify, while the person who came in 28th place did.
4. The 4 gymnasts that technically qualified, but will not be able to compete are:
British gymnast Jennifer Pinches.
Chinese gymnast Yao Jinnan.
Russian gymnast Anastasia Grishina.
And of course, Jordyn Wieber.
- At least 36 people died in Friday's fire at a warehouse party in Oakland. Officials say they are no where close to finding a cause.
- A judge has declared a mistrial in the case of a South Carolina officer who fatally shot Walter Scott, an unarmed black man, in 2015.
- Amazon is opening a grocery store in Seattle that will allow shoppers to walk in and walk out — without pulling out their wallets 👀🍎
- People are cringing (and laughing) at this Forever 21 necklace they think is taking the choker trend too far 😬