13 Slightly Traumatized Parents Share Traveling With Kids Stories That'll Make You Go, "Oh My Gosh, No!"
"My baby threw up EVERYWHERE and we were in the middle seat."
1. "We took a flight with my very active 2-year-old son who threw a tantrum the ENTIRE flight. It got so bad that the flight attendant asked me to step into the restroom and suggested that I stay in there until he 'calms down.' That was a level of hell I hadn’t quite experienced yet."
2. "We were packing up the hotel room when our 5-year-old sneaked out and somehow got into the key-card only elevator. He managed to go down all 21 floors and was fortunately stopped by the concierge as he was about to leave the building."
3. "We were on a road trip when my baby girl had the worst blow-out diaper ever. It stunk up the whole car. It was lunch time, so we stopped at the nearest restaurant, Waffle House. We headed straight to the bathroom where it took both me and my sister to get her cleaned up — and it involved a sink bath."
4. "While rushing to make a 6 a.m. flight, I accidentally kneed my 3-year-old in the lip. Later, at the airport, she wouldn’t listen, and ran away from me screaming that I'd hit her on purpose. Humiliating."
5. "When I was about 3 years old the only way to keep me from crying on a long drive was by playing The Wiggles. The only CD we had of them was a little sampler with 3 songs, so my mom had to sit though those same 3 songs on repeat for 13 HOURS! I honestly don't know how she did it."
6. "When I was in the third grade, my parents took me, my 2-year-old sister, and 1-year-old brother to Disney World. One morning, we woke up at 6:45 a.m. to pounding on the door. My mum answered the door, and the people on the other side asked if we were missing a child. My mum turned on the light and saw my sister was missing!"
"Turns out she walked out of the hotel room at 2 a.m., and when questioned why she said she went to look for Minnie Mouse! They'd been knocking on doors since 4 a.m. because they didn't know her name. When they asked her, she said her name was 'Good Girl.'"
7. "I missed our 4:45 p.m. flight from home by five minutes with my then 2-year-old. I had to be rescheduled on a flight that didn't get home until 2 a.m. Later, on the flight, my exhausted-beyond-belief toddler threw up and I caught it all in my hands. The lady to my left freaked out and started screaming at me. I now always get to the airport hours before a flight."
8. "On a flight to Cuba, my 6-month-old threw up all over herself, me, and the entire airplane seat. I had a change of clothes for the baby, but none for me. I arrived in Cuba wearing my husband's hoodie and no bra — and it was mid day in the blistering heat!"
9. "We let our daughter pack her own bag for her first plane ride. Later, we got stopped going through security. The TSA agent asked who her bag belonged to and who packed it. I said she did. He then opened it and started pulling out the most random collection of kid crap. Finally, he fished out a six-pack of egg-shaped chalk. Apparently it looked like a bomb on an X-ray."
10. "My parents took my little sister and me to Disney when we I was 6. We both caught a stomach bug on the first day (I puked after riding Dumbo) and we had to stay in the hotel 3 of the 5 days we were there."
11. "My 3-year-old was super cranky on a long car ride, so we were trying to keep her quiet with gummy bears. She proceeded to barf a rainbow all over the back of the car. Yummm."
12. " At Disneyland my 3-year-old daughter ran to catch up with her brother in a line at Cars Land and got clotheslined by the metal chain dividing the line. Probably 100 people watched her fall backwards and crack her skull on the concrete, sit up, throw up all over herself, and immediately pass out."
"We learned that day that Disneyland has a whole underground hospital on site with tons of emergency services. She had a slight concussion but thankfully ended up being fine. We received VIP treatment for the rest of the day, but it wasn’t worth it. It was terrifying."
13. "We went on our first family vacation to the beach when my daughter was 13 months old. The first morning she threw up at the hotel during breakfast. We thought it might just be a random thing since she was acting fine otherwise, so we went on to church...where she had explosive diarrhea."
Submissions have been edited for length and clarity.