In a NYPD press conference, the gunman was identified as 56-year-old Jeffrey Johnson. He was fired a year ago from Hazan Imports, where he was a women’s accessories designer. He shot his former employer three times, then fled.
According to NYPD, some of the 10 victims who were shot afterward could have been shot by police officers pursuing Johnson. The two deaths include Johnson and his former employer. All other victims are expected to survive.
WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST
“I was on the bus right there when it happened. At least four people got shot. Two on the northwest side of the street, one empire state building ticket guy in the middle of the crosswalk, and someone on the southwest corner. That was terrifying.”
“There is a man with a bullet in his head in front of my building at 10w 33rd. His blood had just reached the gutters when I arrived. I looked at his corpse for about 1 second and felt all the hair on my body rise— it is the first corpse I have ever seen as a result of violence.”
WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES BELOW
Photo by BuzzFeed’s Michael Schmidt.
13. Helicopters surrounding Empire State Building, as seen from the BuzzFeed offices.
BuzzFeed’s Lauren Yapalater was at the Empire State Building this morning. “I heard someone shout ‘Gun!’ and I ran,” she said.
- President Trump is holding first rally since he took office today. Huge crowds and protests are expected 🗣 🇺🇸
- The most powerful storm in years to hit Southern California battered the region Friday with heavy rain and winds.
- A Washington DC public school has fired back at Education Secretary Betsy DeVos after she criticized its teachers.
- A gay teen was kicked out of his house, and people are loving how this rapper helped him out 🌈 💜