1. UPDATE — Aug. 12, 9:15 p.m. ET: German artists took credit Tuesday for switching American flags for white ones atop the Brooklyn Bridge last month, CNN reported.
Artists Matthias Wermke and Mischa Leinkauf said the swap of American flags for white ones was an “art project,” which was meant to raise “questions of historical legacy and art in the public sphere.”
The artists submitted a video to the New York Times of the white flags on top the tower as evidence.
2. Cops told CNN they are taking the claims seriously, as the artists video appears legitimate.
The police were stumped on who had placed the flags atop the bridge, but after looking into the possibility of terrorism, had decided it was possibly an “art project or a statement.”
3. The artists called the project “White American Flags” and said in a statement:
“They were careful to treat the bridge and the flags with respect and followed the U.S. Flag Code. The return of the original flags is in progress. Like an empty canvas, White American Flags invites many readings, multiple interpretations and projections.”
The statement also said the flags were meant as a tribute German-born American architect John August Roebling, who had built the bridge. He left Germany in 1831 “in search of a better future in the land of freedom and opportunity,” the artists’ statement said.
The artists have done other projects in very high places all around the world. They also cited Gordon Matta-Clark, who climbed the Clocktower Building in Lower Manhattan in 1974, as inspiration for this piece.
6. Upon closer inspection, the flags appear to be American flags that were painted or dyed white.
8. NYPD officials did not reveal any suspects or leads in the case of the white flags on Tuesday.
Police investigators said that video shows four or five people walking on the bridge just after 3:00 a.m. on Tuesday morning.
“I’m not particularly happy about the event,” NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton said.
“At this time there is no sign of any particular nexus to terrorism or even politics,” said NYPD Deputy Commissioner John Miller, who also oversees intelligence and counter terrorism. “It could be someone’s art project or a statement, but it’s not clear what that statement is.”
14. Parody Twitter account @BicycleLobby joked earlier that they were responsible for the white flags.
A pair of high-flying American flags was swiped from atop the Brooklyn Bridge and replaced Tuesday with two white flags — with a pro-bicycling group taking responsibility.
The substitute banners were flying by sunrise from atop the 273-foot towers on the venerable bridge despite the round-the-clock NYPD security on the span.
“Earlier today we hoisted two white flags to signal our complete surrender of the Brooklyn Bridge bicycle path to pedestrians,” said a tweet from the Bicycle Lobby.
- Republicans gave up on their Obamacare replacement. Trump demanded the House vote, but there still wasn't enough support.
- Home Deport will have to face a lawsuit filed by the family of a woman who was raped and killed by her supervisor.
- It's time for Ivanka Trump to "stand for women" against Republican health care policies, says Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards.
- A bizarre short film called "Hi Stranger" that features a naked mumbling figurine has made everyone on the internet uncomfortable 🙃