We have a winner! Paul White, 45, of Ham Lake, Minnesota, was verified Thursday by lottery officials and declared one of the three lucky Powerball players to hit the jackpot and receive one-third of $448 million pot. Each of the winning ticket is worth about $149 million before taxes.
“I ran around my office screaming when I saw the numbers,” White told KARE 5 reporter Dave Berggren.
The store White bought the winning ticket at was also revealed Thursday as the Holiday Stationstore in Anoka County, MN.
White, an electrical contractor and father of a 16-year-old son and 14-year-old daughter, was joined by his longtime partner, Kim VanReese, and co-workers Thursday at Minnesota state lottery headquarters for the official announcement. In a press conference following the check presentation, he said he plans to use the money to take care of his family first, including buying his dad a 1963 Chevy Impala.
The jackpot is the third largest payout in Powerball history. White told the press Thursday he is taking the lump sum payout, which is about $58.3 million.
The other two winning tickets from the Wednesday night drawing were bought in New Jersey and their owners have yet to come forward. A spokesperson for the New Jersey Lottery said one of the winning Powerball tickets was bought at a Super Stop & Shop store in South Brunswick, NJ and the other at an Acme Markets store in Little Egg Harbor, NJ.
3. Watch Paul White describe finding out he won the Powerball jackpot:
- The enemy within: Civilians are caught in the crossfire as Iraqi troops move closer to Mosul and face fears of ISIS.
- Donald Trump wants President Obama to be investigated, saying he knew about Hillary Clinton's private email server 📩
- Here's what European cities are offering to convince London's banks, companies, and entrepreneurs to move post-Brexit🍷🌞
- And Millie Bobby Brown — Eleven from "Stranger Things" — looks badass on her first magazine cover ✨