1. Bryce Dion, a 38-year-old crew member for the long-running TV series Cops, was shot and killed Tuesday night while filming a shootout between three Omaha police and an armed robbery suspect at a Wendy’s restaurant, police said.
3. Omaha Police Chief Todd Schmaderer said on Wednesday the robbery suspect opened fire first and the officers had no choice but to respond. The suspect, 32-year-old Cortez Washington, was also killed.
4. Omaha police revealed stills from a video of the incident and an image of the gun used by the suspect.
5. The suspect shot at police with a pellet gun that looked and sounded real, said Schmaderer .
6. Police said Dion was struck once in the Wendy’s entryway after Washington tried to flee the scene. He was wearing a bulletproof vest, but was hit in an unprotected area on the arm. Dion was shot by a police officer, the Associated Press reports.
“My concern with my officers is that they are taking this very hard,” Schmaderer said. “Bryce was their friend.”
8. Dion worked on Cops for seven years and had recently been promoted, the Los Angeles Times reports.
10. Cops premiered in 1989. After a 24 year run on FOX, the show was cancelled and recently picked up by Spike TV.
- The Trump administration wants to send immigrants caught at the southern US border to Mexico even if they're not from the country.
- Several states will keep enforcing bans against transgender discrimination in schools after Trump withdrew guidelines protecting students.
- Police arrested at least 10 people on Wednesday as they began clearing out protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.
- And people with disabilities are having their photos stolen and Facebook isn't helping them.