As the first person in my family to ever apply to a 4-year college, I wish that the cost of a degree was explained to me. I felt like there was so much pressure to go to the beat school that accepted me, regardless of the price. My parents weren’t wealthy, but made just too much to qualify for any aid. I also wish that community college wasn’t so stigmatized in my hometown. My high school was exceptional, and so many students went on to amazing schools. At the time I believed only burnouts stayed around and went to the local community college. Boy was I wrong! Ended up with a vocational degree after many wrong turns.
Response to Tell Us About Your Experience Of Being A Carer:
This is absolutely true. Compassion fatigue is very real. As a young nursing student, there was no end to my compassion. I thought what I lacked in cconfidence, compassion would make up for. Upon graduation, I thought I was going to change the world. I got my first long term care job two years into my career. I worked in corrections previously, and quickly burnt out from that. I cared deeply for my residents, and they came to love me. I gave them the level of care and attention I thought they deserved, even when it frequently meant I’d be late with other responsibilities, or was not able to take a break. It really took a toll on me, and I found myself resenting residents for needing so much of my time. I won’t go into issues about patient load, or problems with other nurses shirking their responsibilities. My problem was that I could not effectively care for myself while having to play therapist to so many others. In my mind, there was no way to downgrade my role in these people’s lives because I had already asserted myself in this role. I lasted 6 months there. I’ve since moved to home health. I care for one very lovely little girl with special needs, and I’m starting to remember why I chose this profession.
Response to 21 Secrets Runners Won’t Tell You:
This is my entire life right now!
- mellowella "21 Secrets Runners Won't Tell You"
- mellowella "6 Things I Overheard At FKA Twigs'..."
- mellowella "75 Thoughts Every Runner Has While Ou..."
- mellowella "The 34 Most Important Things Alexande..."
- mellowella "Woman Posts "Let My Kids Know I ..."
- mellowella "23 Excellent Reasons To Drink More Wine"
- mellowella "Completely Adorable 12-Year-Old Might..."
Response to 21 Signs You’re Obsessed With Peanut Butter:
I’ve killed two jars of PB, on my own, this week. Not one sandwich was made.
- mellowella "21 Signs You're Obsessed With Pea..."
- mellowella "23 Life Lessons You Learned From "The..."
- mellowella "33 Gluten-Free And Vegan Chocolate De..."
- mellowella "15 Times Batman Was 100% Done With Th..."