1. The buffalo wing turns 50 today.
2. Buffalo wings are rumored to have been first prepared by a bar from the city of Buffalo, New York.
3. Buffalo wings are deep-fried, unbreaded chicken wings smothered in a special buffalo hot sauce.
4. Buffalo wings started to become more popular after the Buffalo Bills appeared in four consecutive Super Bowls.
5. The main ingredient used in the first pound of buffalo wings ever created was Frank's Red Hot sauce.
6. We've been eating them wrong.
7. In fact, there are countless other ways to eat them, yet we choose the one wrong way.
10. The world record for most chicken wings eaten in a sitting is 363 wings in just 30 minutes, held by Molly Schuyler.
11. Chicken wings double as a glam necklace
12. Somewhere in this world, there was once a treasure trove of chicken wings worth $65,000.
13. Chicken wings are a serious matter.
14. According to the National Chicken Council, 1.25 billion chicken wings were devoured during this past Super Bowl,
15. The price of chicken wings rise during the Super Bowl season.
16. Saxophones were modelled after chicken wings.
17. Celery, carrots and blue cheese dressing are served alongside chicken wings to cleanse your palette of the intensity and spiciness from the wings.
18. Hooters sells more than 30 million pounds of wings per year!
19. If you're not careful, your bowl of deliciousness can become exhibit A in an assault case.
20. 6 thai sweet chili wings contain more calories than 2 KFC Double-Down sandwiches!
21. The average amount of wings that the average American consumes in one sitting is about 12 wings.
22. Ranch dressing is the go-to sauce for Americans to dip their chicken wings into.
Happy National Chicken Wing Day!
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!