Looking for the perfect thing to make for brunch this weekend? Three words: biscuits and gravy. It’s a surprisingly easy, savory breakfast dish that will definitely impress your friends.
But before we get to the recipes, let’s start with the basics of biscuits and gravy.
2. First, you should always make your own biscuits.
It’s dead easy, cheap, and you won’t spend hours waiting for yeast to rise. Here are a few secrets to ensure your biscuits turn out flaky and delicious every time.
1. Use cold ingredients. Unlike yeast breads that need to be warm, with biscuits the colder the better.
2. Cut your fat into the dry ingredients with two knives, a pastry blender, or the edge of a fork. These little bits will melt and create steam, giving you flaky biscuits.
3. Handle the dough as little as possible, and place your biscuits in the freezer for a few minutes before baking in a very hot oven.
4. Bake the biscuits on the top rack of your oven.
5. Let them cool on a wire rack. If you let them cool on the pan the bottoms will go soggy, and no one likes soggy biscuits.
4. And you should also make your own gravy.
Again, super easy.
It’s a basic béchamel gravy, so start by heating oil or butter. Add an equal amount of flour, cook for a minute, then slowly add milk. Season with salt, pepper, and here’s the secret ingredient…
Yes, add a few pinches of freshly grated nutmeg to your sauce. Don’t ask me why, it just takes the flavor to a whole different level.
6. If you have a little more time, try making your own ground seitan.
I love making my own seitan. It does take a bit of time, but it’s cheap and you can flavor it pretty much any way you’d like. This ground poultry seasoned seitan recipe works great in biscuits and gravy!
20. And if you wanna get really crazy, try one of these…
- The trial to watch in Trump's America: A doctor faces a manslaughter charge after his patient died following an abortion.
- Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany has for the first time said that she backs proposals for a partial ban on burqas.
- The Supreme Court threw out a $399 million judgment against Samsung over the iPhone's design.
- Grammy nominations are out. Beyoncé has earned 9, including Album of the Year. Drake, Rihanna, and Kanye West each got 8 nods 💿🎶