1. If you are a ’90s girl, you have seen Labyrinth, the fantasy/adventure movie starring a young Jennifer Connelly and a not-so-young David Bowie.
You know what I’m talking about. You know where this is going.
This is the movie that made so many young girls secretly aroused by spiky-haired rulers of goblins. Labyrinth wasn’t supposed to be a sexy movie BUT OH HOW IT WAS.
Let us now examine the unspoken relationship you had with David Bowie …
2. We first meet 15-year-old Sarah in the park where she is rehearsing lines. In costume.
This is crucial. As children, we saw an artistic girl in a pretty dress. But what we didn’t realize is that Sarah is in fact a huge geek. Huge. She will be going to Ren faires and role playing for the rest of her life. And there’s nothing wrong with that! But this is how we began to identify deeply — as fellow uncool people who thought we were cool — with her. We are her.
13. Except Jareth has spent the entire movie trying to harm Sarah. Do you love her or hate her? WELL? WHICH ONE IS IT, GOBLIN KING?
Like that time you sent “the cleaners” on her? And she was about a second away from death? And also … if she’s able to rescue her baby bro, wouldn’t you stand a better chance with her?
17. And then he says this. Which makes absolutely no sense. And yet, I dunno. This seems like a pretty appealing offer.
It’s like he’s trying to reverse 50 Shade her. Which means he’s 50 Shading her even more? I’m so confused. But it doesn’t matter.
18. And so this became our fantasy. A Goblin King who rocked leggings and could turn into an owl. (Badass.)
I mean. Nevermind that David Bowie was like, a million years older than us. It’s just a movie, right?
Mrs. Future Goblin King