1. The food is often really questionable.
2. But keeping food in the communal fridge is an equally dangerous endeavor.
3. Without a parent to help mend your clothes, you’re forced to turn to other means...
4. ...like staplers to keep up those pesky skirt hems.
5. And using permanent texta to color in smudges on your school shoes.
6. If you get lumped with the bed closest to the door, you have to yell “Don’t come ‘round!” before you strip off and get changed.
7. In fact, you learn that privacy is a privilege, not a right, pretty damn fast.
8. The actual worst is rocking up at the bathroom in a towel in peak shower time only to find all the cubicles are full.
9. And someone stealing your towel while you’re in the shower.
10. Also, if you lose your thongs – get ready for tinea.
11. You regularly have fire drills – not to mention actual evacuations – from your own home.
12. Trying to use Facebook when it’s blocked during certain hours is a CONSTANT struggle.
13. And there is a constant fear the school’s internet monitoring will come back to bite you one day.
14. The school nurse has seen so much bullshit in her time that it’s basically impossible to fake needing a day off.
In fact, half the time when you're actually unwell, you have to go to school anyway.