1. The Brexit results are in: Britain voted to leave the European Union.
2. And people have quickly started comparing the controversial vote in the UK to Australia's proposed plebiscite on marriage equality.
3. The plebiscite was suggested in 2015 by then-prime minister Tony Abbott.
4. It's widely believed it was introduced as a delaying tactic to appease the socially conservative wing of the Coalition government.
5. In recent weeks, people have expressed fear that a marriage equality plebiscite will unleash anti-LGBTI sentiment.
6. Opposition leader Bill Shorten described the plebiscite as a "taxpayer funded platform for homophobia".
7. But prime minister Malcolm Turnbull is certain the Australian people will be able to have a respectful debate on the issue.
8. People are accusing him of lacking leadership.
9. On Friday, Turnbull confirmed the result of the plebiscite won't bind any Coalition MP – not even members of cabinet.
10. Now people are worried the result won’t even be carried …
11. ... And dreading how such a vote might play out down under.
15. Not everyone is dismayed by the result.
17. But many are calling for Turnbull to take note.
Lane Sainty is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Sydney, Australia.
Contact Lane Sainty at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.