2. Three British monarchs have held the throne.
Edward VIII took the throne in January 1936 and abdicated in December to marry the American Wallis Simpson. George VI reigned from 1936 to 1952, and his successor, Elizabeth II, still holds the throne.
3. Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, David Bowie, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison were all born.
4. 16 men and one woman have served as British Prime Minister.
5. England won a World Cup.
The notoriously futile English national soccer team is more successful in the sports’ biggest competition than their tennis players are at their domestic tournament. This says a lot. England won in 1966, with Geoff Hurst (who has since been knighted) scoring the only hat-trick in the history of the World Cup finals. Guess where that Cup was held? That’s right: England.
6. 29 British men and women have won Best Actor/Actress Oscars.
Here’s Kate Winslet in The Reader. Also, American actress Meryl Streep won for playing Margaret Thatcher.
7. All six members of Monty Python were born.
And one, Graham Chapman, died.
10. Great Britain’s population went from ~47 million to ~62 million.
14. 13 Brits have won the Open Championship, golf’s only major that takes place in Great Britain.
- At least 10 people, including the gunman, are dead after a shooting at a mall in Munich, Germany.