1. On October 7th, music duo Timeflies performed at the University of Connecticut.
2. Vocalist Cal Shapiro rapped a freestyle and included all UConn-specific references. After mentioning UConn’s “rape trail,” thousands of students cheered in excitement (at the 0:11 mark).
“How could they shut down Carriage, and what you know, I never save it, we gonna bring it back like the m****f**kin’ rape trail.”
3. And tweeted about how ‘awesome’ it was.
6. The Daily Campus, UConn’s daily student paper, left Shapiro’s “rape trail” remarks out of their coverage of the concert.
“An especially entertaining part of Timeflies’ setlist was when they did freestyle with UConn’s prominent symbols, such as Wings Over Storrs, Horsebarn Hill, the HuskyTHON and the new logo.”
7. Days later, two women reported being sexual assaulted on that very trail.
8. Following the reported assaults, the university sent a [victim blaming] safety alert to students.
(SIDENOTE: It doesn’t actually matter how the victims “ended up in the wooded area with the offenders,” and there’s no such thing as “non-consensual sexual intercourse.” Rape isn’t sex. Rape is assault; it’s violence.)
9. And some students victim blamed on Twitter.
Because if you walk along the rape trail, you should just expect to get raped…?
12. Luckily, UConn alum Brian Zahn tries to talk some sense into other students at his alma mater on his personal blog.
“If students were truly concerned about the possibility of rapists hiding behind the trees, there would not be cheers. There would be dead silence. Instead, the “rape trail” has been embraced as part of UConn’s culture, a jokey reference to the things that make us Huskies.”
- Donald Trump, who wrote a book about his ability to get deals done, lost in his highest stakes negotiation yet — the battered GOP health care bill.
- A viral Instagram post falsely claimed 14 black girls went missing over 24 hours in Washington, DC, but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Now lawmakers are taking action.
- Apple says a hacking group that's threatening to wipe hundreds of millions of iPhones has not breached its iCloud system 📱
- Hi Stranger: A bizarre short film featuring a naked mumbling figurine is making everyone on the internet uncomfortable 🙃