1. In February 2010, Jeffrey Cucinotta and Jorge Barrios Jimenez both logged onto Chatroulette for the first time and were randomly paired up.
2. Jeffrey told BuzzFeed that he wouldn’t turn his webcam on because he’d never used an internet chat site before and didn’t want to reveal his identity to a total stranger.
At the time, he lied and said his camera was broken.
3. Both men were in college at the time. When Jeffrey told Jorge he was studying geography, Jorge thought Jeffrey must be one of his friends pranking him because he was also studying geography.
Jorge was studying in Mexico City, and Jeffrey was studying at Rowan University in New Jersey.
4. The pair chatted for an hour, then exchanged Facebook information and kept in touch for the next few months.
5. Jeffrey signed up for a volunteer trip to Mexico through his school the following summer, and he and Jorge decided to meet.
6. They’d only ever talked online, and had never even spoken on the phone the first time they met.
Jeffrey described it as “an extreme blind date, in reverse.”
7. Jeffrey’s friends warned him that Jorge might not be who he said he was, and that he should be very careful, but Jeffrey “just knew.”
He said that he and Jorge already “trusted each other entirely.”
8. They met at the airport and “immediately clicked.”
9. They’ve been in a long-distance relationship for four years now. The longest period of time they’ve ever had to spend apart is four months.
10. What’s been hardest for them is “having separate lives but then a life together, and finding a way to balance the two different lives.”
11. The two even adopted a stray dog they found on the street during one of Jeffrey’s visits to Mexico, and named her Paloma.
12. Jorge proposed to Jeffrey in August 2012 on a New Jersey beach, under a full moon, and after Jeffrey said yes they unexpectedly saw fireworks go off in the distance.
14. A week and a half ago, on July 25th, the two wed in Jeffrey’s hometown of Westampton, N.J.
Jorge still lives in Mexico and is returning in October to finish his thesis. He’s currently applying for U.S. citizenship.
15. The two hope to adopt a child. Jorge wants to be a father “more than anything.”
16. Neither has been back on Chatroulette since their first meeting back in 2010.
- Young tech transplants in Seattle are finding home in the Elks Club, a fraternal order that's growing for the first time since 1976.