Real talk: It seems like the 2016 US election is one of the nastiest and most divisive elections in recent history. If you're feeling battered and bruised from it, we feel you. It's hard not to. But there are some things you can do to feel better. Below, a list of self-care techniques you can take part in over the next month and beyond.
1. Give yourself permission to eschew political coverage and watch your favorite dumb TV shows.
2. Get a hobby.
3. Treat yo' self.
4. But also help others.
5. Turn off the TV a couple of hours before you go to bed.
6. Give yourself permission to unplug from everything every once in a while.
7. And if you're going to keep yourself plugged in, make frequent stops to your online "happy places."
9. Don't take the Facebook bait.
10. Oh yeah! Remember outside?
11. Get your sleep.
12. Pet a doggy or a kitty.
13. Oh yeah, VOLUNTEER!
14. Create a happy music playlist.
That probably means something different for everyone (for the record, here's mine, above). Whatever it is, creating a playlist of all your fave good-vibes songs will inexorably lift your mood.