Aussies Are Sharing The Tell-Tale Signs Of A Bogan For Non-Australians
What's in a name? That which we call a bogan...
There are many great questions in life: What is consciousness? What lies on the other side of death? What is the science of love? And now, thanks to Reddit user u/Nuclear_Chemist, we have another — "What is a bogan?"
As an Australian, I can confirm that the bogan oft-times transcends definition — they cannot be limited to a single class, a single income, a single mindset. Indeed, to be a bogan is to be a part of something infinitely bigger than yourself.
2. "Wearing really expensive clothes that don't fit or have huge logos. Lining up for hours to inspect a house from The Block. Having wooden statues of letters that spell words like 'LOVE' or 'FAMILY' in the lounge room. Owning a TV that is way too big for the lounge room. Owning a house that is way too big for the block. Having an uncle younger than you, or a nephew older than you...you're a bogan."
3. "Basically, someone of lower class attitudes. Uncultured, not terribly sophisticated. And totally oblivious to the surroundings or company they are in."
4. "There are a few ways to spot the illustrious bogan around town; A) they un-ironically wear their sunglasses around the back of their head. B) they consider Melbourne Cup the common man's Oscars. C) They or a close loved one have appeared on MAFS."
5. "Having a car that has one (or more) panels that are a different colour to the main body of the vehicle is a dead give away."
6. "If you find someone who has named their child Rybekkah, Ryliee, Jevin or Carryn, congrats — you've found yourself a bogan."
7. "Or named them after characters in Home & Away. I know someone who named all her boys after the Braxton brothers — and even called one Braxton."
8. "There are CUBS — Cashed Up Bogans — and Australia is full of them. Not all CUBs are super wealthy, most are just quite well off. The latter very often drive V8 four-wheel drives (for Shazza to drop the kids off at school), while Dad has a tradie ute, often a jet ski and, frequently, a trail bike(s)."
9. "Less than average intelligence, questionable hygiene, maybe breaks the law, might look a little bit less sophisticated than other people."
10. "The bogan is usually not ashamed of who they are or where they are from and is actually quite insulted if someone makes fun of them."
11. "It's harder to explain what one is than to spot one when you know what they are. Many of the blue collar trades where you would traditionally find bogans are now very well paying, hence the term Cashed Up Bogans (CUBs). They can exist across most economic classes. There are high-priced lawyers in expensive suits who are the biggest bogans you will ever meet."
12. "Most bogans I know are in trades and earn six-figure salaries, plus own their own home, have a jet ski and Ford ranger in the driveway!"
14. "People with bad taste and no class. There are cashed up bogans and bogans on welfare."
15. "In the UK, they are called chavs. In America, they are called rednecks. In Russia, they are called gopniks. In the Netherlands, they are called tokkies."
17. "A bogan is an ignorant person who firmly believes in ignorance...They are furious about things that they find difficult to understand."
18. "I mostly hang out with CUBs and am a fairly comfortable tradie myself. When I get together with mates and their families, the tables will be groaning with the weight of lobsters, tomahawk steaks, king prawns etc...And unlimited beer and pot."
Note: Responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.