5. Barszcz (Polish red borscht)
The basic Polish borscht recipe includes red beetroot, onions, garlic, and other vegetables, such as carrots and celery or root parsley. Some versions are made with meat or bacon and served as a thicker stew. A vegetarian version of barszcz is presented as the first course during the Christmas Eve feast, served with ravioli-type dumplings called uszka with mushroom filling.
7. Blueberry mazurka
A decadent Polish wedding sweet treat, here made with blueberry preserves filling that’s spiked with blueberry vodka, pressed between layers of crumbly pastry made with brown sugar, walnuts, oats, flour and butter. (Recipe here by Culinary Cara.)
10. Polish hot dog
Polish dogs are usually made with either kielbasa or a combination of beef and pork with some other additives that give it a taste distinct from traditional hot dogs. Sometimes cheese is put inside it. And, it’s usually larger than a regular hot dog. Yay.
12. Kotlet schabowy (breaded pork) and potato dumplings
A Polish variety of pork breaded cutlet that dates back to the 19th century. It’s coated with breadcrumbs similar to Viennese schnitzel, but made of pork tenderloin (with the bone or without), or with pork chop.
- At least four people are dead and 20 are injured in what police are treating as a terror attack outside of Parliament in London.
- Donald Trump said he feels "somewhat" vindicated after the Republican intelligence chairman in the House claimed Trump's team was surveilled.
- Documents about ties between fired Trump adviser Michael Flynn and Russia need to be turned over to House investigators, say oversight chairmen.
- As if it wasn't easy enough to buy someone coffee, you'll now be able to send Starbucks gift cards via text on Apple's iMessage ☕️📲