5. Yano was corrected by Sanrio after the company proofread her texts for the exhibit, in which she described the famous character, naturally, as a cat.
“I was corrected — very firmly,” she told the Los Angeles Times. “That’s one correction Sanrio made for my script for the show. Hello Kitty is not a cat. She’s a cartoon character. She is a little girl. She is a friend. But she is not a cat. She’s never depicted on all fours. She walks and sits like a two-legged creature. She does have a pet cat of her own, however, and it’s called Charmmy Kitty.”
6. So ALLEGEDLY, Hello Kitty is actually a human British girl named Kitty White with her own backstory.
Kitty White is a twin and a perpetual third-grader. According to the Times: “She is a Scorpio. She loves apple pie. And she is the daughter of George and Mary White.”
- Refugee families are being torn apart by British bureaucracy. Processing delays and bureaucratic barriers are separating families by thousands of miles.
- Seventeen people died in a fire at a makeshift nursing home near Ukraine's capital Kiev on Sunday.
- At least four people died and 49 others were injured in shootings during a violent Memorial Day weekend in Chicago.