5. Yano was corrected by Sanrio after the company proofread her texts for the exhibit, in which she described the famous character, naturally, as a cat.
“I was corrected — very firmly,” she told the Los Angeles Times. “That’s one correction Sanrio made for my script for the show. Hello Kitty is not a cat. She’s a cartoon character. She is a little girl. She is a friend. But she is not a cat. She’s never depicted on all fours. She walks and sits like a two-legged creature. She does have a pet cat of her own, however, and it’s called Charmmy Kitty.”
6. So ALLEGEDLY, Hello Kitty is actually a human British girl named Kitty White with her own backstory.
Kitty White is a twin and a perpetual third-grader. According to the Times: “She is a Scorpio. She loves apple pie. And she is the daughter of George and Mary White.”
- A newly unearthed Homeland Security report contradicts Donald Trump's travel ban, saying country of origin is not a reliable indicator of terrorism.
- The White House blocked several media outlets it's been critical of, including BuzzFeed, from a closed-door briefing by press secretary Sean Spicer.
- Hillary Clinton returned to the public arena in one of her first political appearances since the election, urging Democrats to "keep fighting."
- A billboard in North Carolina that claims "Real men provide. Real women appreciate it," has sparked controversy across the country 👀