1. We’ve made the relationship mistakes already, so YOU DON’T HAVE TO!
Chances are, most mature students will have been through several crappy relationships already so can spot the warning signs and give advice. Save yourself some pain and listen!
2. Mature students have usually had jobs before, so time management and organisation is a strong point.
We make great alarm clocks for a 9am lecture – texting or calling to make sure you’re awake.
3. Life experience means great embarrassing stories.
You worry you made a fool of yourself at the Student Union? Pull up a chair, it’s story time…
4. We nearly always have snacks, especially for an early morning lecture.
Especially true if we have children. That bag inevitably has lunch, three cereal bars, crisps, and more “just in case”.
5. We WILL outlast you on a night out.
You fall over after two glasses of wine and go home at 10pm. Mature students can handle two bottles and will be there until closing time.
6. We often have our own clean, tidy, houses you can visit to study in.
Complete with washing machines, comfy furniture, and wine racks. Best bit: NO HOUSEMATES.
7. But the chances are that we’d love to talk about anything other than our kids, work, or home life.
8. You know we’ll be committed to a group project.
We hate it as much as you, but we’ve got other stuff to be doing so know it’s not worth procrastinating for the next three weeks.
9. Local mature students know all the best hidden bars and pubs, and where the cheapest drinks are.
10. You’re less likely to get ID’d if you go to a bar with us.
11. We’ll nearly always have done the seminar reading.
We’ve often sacrificed a lot to come to uni, and when you’re paying £9,000 a year it makes sense to do the work!
12. We’ll teach you to appreciate your parents.
Being older we may be closer to ours, or may even have lost them so can show how important they are.
13. We’ll answer the questions nobody else wants to.
You get the information, the lecturer is happy someone is involved, and you get to go home quicker. Everyone wins.
14. Two words: Cooking lessons.
It doesn’t have to be beans on toast and overpriced pizzas.
15. We love to give advice and lend an ear.
Don’t take the piss though.
16. We’ll get more drunk than you during a game of “Never Have I Ever”.
17. The threshold for a “mature student” is 21+. Not all mature students are old and grey, and most want a laugh too.
18. You’ll worry that we’ll judge you like your parents, but we really won’t.
We’ve done way worse. Plus we’ve got more important things to worry about than who you’re dating.
20. We can be brave enough to challenge lecturers or tell annoying students to shut up.
Patience of a saint.