1. In 1984, Paul Reubens (Pee-wee Herman) saw Frankenweenie, a live-action short by a recently fired Disney animator. He was an instant fan.
2. After noticing that most people rode bikes around the studio lot, Paul Reubens asked for his own.
He loved his new 1940s Schwinn so much that he abandoned the script he had been working on and wrote a new one about the bike.
4. Large Marge didn’t blink the whole time she was telling her story in the truck.
6. The song “Clown Dream,” which Danny Elfman wrote for Pee-wee’s clown dream…
…makes an appearance in Grand Theft Auto V.
7. This drive-in…
…was also this drive-in.
8. The guy who harassed Pee-wee near the fortune teller’s studio was Tim Burton.
9. Mark Holton, who played Francis…
10. Pee-wee looked particularly ill after his bike went missing because Paul Reubens had the flu.
11. The shop that built bikes for the movie, Pedal Pusher Bike Shop, was offered either $10,000 and no screen credit or screen credit only. They chose the money.
12. When Pee-wee was hitchhiking to the Alamo, the star on his Texas-shaped sign was actually over Bracketville, the location of the Alamo facade used in most Western movies.
13. Mario showed Pee-wee two heads in the magic shop. The largest one was magician and occultist Aleister Crowley.
And Warner Bros. asked Tim Burton to direct Batman only because both Pee-wee’s Big Adventure and Beetlejuice were so financially successful.
…or the song that plays in your head when you see this GIF.
- Donald Trump broke with decades of US policy by speaking with the president of Taiwan Friday, a move that could anger China.
- At least nine people have been killed after a fire broke out during a warehouse party late Friday night in Oakland, California.
- A public health expert says President-elect Mike Pence's resistance to needle exchanges during Indiana's HIV outbreak last year is the direct result of systemic failure.
- "I'm 21 so you can have it back!" This 23-year-old got her lost ID back in the mail, along with a hilarious thank you note 💌😂